PDF to CAD elevation data

ericepv

I am looking for away to make a CAD file from a PDF for the purpose of creating elevation data that can be brought into Chief. My customer has provided me with a detailed topo map of the property  but has not been able to obtain the original CAD file.

You could convert your PDF to a .dwg file but that won't give you elevation data.  You should be able to get some lines or points that you could manually convert to elevation data perhaps.

Most convert to raster or the vector data is inaccurate.   Also you would need to resize the result to match real world dimensions.

For small sites it is easier to import the pdf, scale it to real world dimensions, lock the layer and draw terrain, lot lines and elevations over it.

For larger sites, our auditor has dwg/dxf files we can download with terrain elevation data using Arcgis.  Your New York area uses this system as well.  Here's a link.

Erie County makes available tax parcel data in GIS format for free. As of October, our 2023 parcel data can be downloaded. If you are interested in obtaining the 2023 GIS dataset of tax parcels,…

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2024 at 8:34 PM, JiAngelo said:

Most convert to raster or the vector data is inaccurate.   Also you would need to resize the result to match real world dimensions.

For small sites it is easier to import the pdf, scale it to real world dimensions, lock the layer and draw terrain, lot lines and elevations over it.

For larger sites, our auditor has dwg/dxf files we can download with terrain elevation data using Arcgis.  Your New York area uses this system as well.  Here's a link.

Erie County makes available tax parcel data in GIS format for free. As of October, our 2023 parcel data can be downloaded. If you are interested in obtaining the 2023 GIS dataset of tax parcels,…

Thanks John, I'll look into that.

This will clarify your mind, if I may quote from the lyrics to the old old blue song, "Trouble in Mind."

Watch how easy it is to draw what you need over the .pdf and get to a terrain, and then watch the magic of creating an "as built" terrain, then the cut and fill to create what is needed.

It has been linked before in terrain threads.