Issues sending layout pdf to a print shop (Staples.com)

MCCCcc

My client and I are doing a formal review going page by page to mark up the last cycle of corrections and changes. All the previous reviews have been done with PDF's shared in electronic form or on Google Meet sessions, where I shared my screen during the presentation. Until now, i have not attempted to print the layout on paper. Today I attempted to uploaded the CA layout PDF file to Staple.com, using their Blueprints printing service, and got an error.

1074923082_UploadYourFiles.thumb.png.c32acede1398f270630f747d48e8403d.png

Originally the file name was long and had a couple special characters, but I shortened and simplified the filename and got the same error. I also checked the security settings on the PDF file and there are no limits on the files access or read/write settings. I checked for Staples.com limitation on the file size or format constraints, but there were no constrains other than photo images could not be printed as blueprints. My layout has elevation and perspective views, but I do not remember converting any of those to .jpg to prevent changes or disconnected links to views. I eventually called Staple Customer Support to ask if there are any limitation on file sizes or the like. The service representative indicated there are no limitation other than the images could not be printed as a blueprint but could be printed as a poster. The rep also suggested calling CA Technical support to ask about the file security or parameters on the layout PDF files. I opted to post the issue here first to get user feedback from Staples.com users. Has anyone encountered this problem and resolved it?

In the past, when using Home Designer Pro, I have printed layout PDF's at Staples.com, both color and BW, without problems. In December I purchased a monthly CA license to take and drawing content to the next level, primarily to generate the construction drawings required by my client's town building department. Every step through design process has been an incremental learning curve on CA, and that trend has continued to this point; printing a hard copy of the layout.

I have not had that exact error message before but have had plenty of others.   You say you have "perspective views" included in your PDF as most Chief Architect users would.  Staples will not print those as blueprints which they interpret as strictly vector line drawings.  They also complain about file size and say the file size needs to be 25MB or less.  I compress to 15MB and still get the same error.

The only thing I use Staples for is walk in self serve printing of 11 x 17 or 8 1/2" x 11.  No issues with color then as long as you don't mind the thin paper they provide.

• Like 1

Thank you to @Chopsaw and @Gawdzira for the feedback. I just wanted to get confirmation that others have had problems with Staples and going to another print shop is the right thing to do. Getting confirmation and a print shop recommendation helps greatly, thank you again. I also got a recommendation from a colleague for a print shop in my area, which works to get the drawings ASAP.