Porch post spacing

Ed_Orum

Go to solution Solved by TeaTime,

Hello Again

Is there (there has to be, Chief is a CAD Drafting program) a dialog box or other way of accurately spacing porch posts, when none of the posts will be equally spaced apart?

Thanks in advance,

Lane

46 minutes ago, Ed_Orum said:

Hello Again

Is there (there has to be, Chief is a CAD Drafting program) a dialog box or other way of accurately spacing porch posts, when none of the posts will be equally spaced apart?

Thanks in advance,

Lane

Lane,

Funny, but I was dealing with this very same issue earlier today for a breezeway.  I believe the answer is no.

To my knowledge there are 2 two methods to control spacing:

1) Turn off railing columns / balusters and place the posts separately / manually.

2) Break the railings into separate lengths (break the rails and then flip the rail so it does not auto-heal back together).  You can then control the post interval spacing for each defined image.thumb.png.736065c6bc9d8af3698904874e10a409.pnglength.

Here's the breezeway I was working on today.  I broke the initial 4 railing runs into more segments to better control the spacing (A, B , etc.) and to make the spacing match on both sides.

Jim

• Solution
2 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

Break the railings into separate lengths

This is the way.

The issue you'll likely start screaming about though is the "auto merge collinear walls" setting that kicks on the second you look at your railings wrong. It's in General Wall Defaults. I generally leave it on but sometimes there's a plan that I really need it to stop "helping".

17 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

Lane,

Funny, but I was dealing with this very same issue earlier today for a breezeway.  I believe the answer is no.

To my knowledge there are 2 two methods to control spacing:

1) Turn off railing columns / balusters and place the posts separately / manually.

2) Break the railings into separate lengths (break the rails and then flip the rail so it does not auto-heal back together).  You can then control the post interval spacing for each defined image.thumb.png.736065c6bc9d8af3698904874e10a409.pnglength.

Here's the breezeway I was working on today.  I broke the initial 4 railing runs into more segments to better control the spacing (A, B , etc.) and to make the spacing match on both sides.

Jim

Thanks!

We are adding the ability to move newel posts in X16 (due out in late Q2).  They can be repositioned with in the railing using a new move tool found in the edit toolbar or by clicking on the newel and pressing the tab key.  Here’s a brief video.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, scottharris said:

We are adding the ability to move newel posts in X16 (due out in late Q2).  They can be repositioned with in the railing using a new move tool found in the edit toolbar or by clicking on the newel and pressing the tab key.  Here’s a brief video.

Great!