x14 Crashing when changing materials on any object

rcmcdougle

I just installed x14 on a new computer (specs below) and many default items are wonky. The biggest problem is when I attempt to change materials on any object - roof, wall types, refrigerator - Chief goes dead. Endless blue wheelie with task manager showing no CPU utilization. I must "End Task" and restart. I usually get a more recently saved version prompt available; so I don't lose much work. I really dislike the ongoing anxiety this creates in a work environment that was rock solid previously.

I have built the new box with drives and installations mapped exactly like previously. I still have the previous box sitting next to the new one. I'm wondering if there is some Chief configuration file I could bring over from the old box that would address all the wierdness. Old box was Windows 10 Pro - new box Windows 11 Pro updated.

I have built the new box with drives and installations mapped exactly like previously...

Old box was Windows 10 Pro - new box Windows 11 Pro updated.

You realize that those two statements contradict each other, right?  You are using a new OS so the machines are definitely not the same and software might not work the same.

Regardless, my guess is that you are having a video card, or more likely, a video card driver problem.  I would bet that 99% of the crashes that people talk about here are video card related.  First thing to try would be to update your video card drivers to the latest from the card manufacturer.  If that doesn't make the problems go away, then check out this tech article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

If all else fails, then I would contact tech support.

I can't point you directly to it but there is a switch on your video card where you establish priority settings for Chief Architect (or any other particular program). Find that and it may solve it.

15 hours ago, rcmcdougle said:

I just installed x14 on a new computer (specs below) and many default items are wonky. The biggest problem is when I attempt to change materials on any object - roof, wall types, refrigerator - Chief goes dead. Endless blue wheelie with task manager showing no CPU utilization. I must "End Task" and restart. I usually get a more recently saved version prompt available; so I don't lose much work. I really dislike the ongoing anxiety this creates in a work environment that was rock solid previously.

I have built the new box with drives and installations mapped exactly like previously. I still have the previous box sitting next to the new one. I'm wondering if there is some Chief configuration file I could bring over from the old box that would address all the wierdness. Old box was Windows 10 Pro - new box Windows 11 Pro updated.

Other than DB comment which I'd check 1st  ( you can ignore Alan's switch joke )  but there is a known issue with the 14900k  for many people, not just Chiefer's , many gamers too , I had issues at 1st with mine and had to make some adjustments in the Bios.

Let me see if I can find the thread on Chief where it was discussed by a couple of us......

Here you go......

this is some posts on reddit I found later and work for me...

M.

2 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

This is the "switch" I was referring to. I am not on my machine with the GeForce to show it exactly but similar to the article.

https://www.mlc-cad.com/solidworks-help-center/how-to-force-solidworks-to-use-your-graphics-card/

Oh , Chief actually has a similar KB Articles (below)  I thought you meant the physical switch many Nvidia Cards have, which is actually the GPU Bios switch to either enable OC (overclock mode) or Silent Mode.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03140/forcing-chief-architect-programs-to-use-a-specific-graphics-card-in-windows-10-11.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03140/forcing-chief-architect-programs-to-use-a-specific-graphics-card-in-windows-10-11.html

image.thumb.png.86ff07c46afaaf67d75f70feaece0416.png