Material Texture's

NeilofOZ

I have imported a texture finish ( face brick ) which shows bands of diferent colours, have attached the image below and it looks consistant enough, so what is the cause of these bands.

Have attached images of the wall and texture.

Bremer Bay face brick.jpg

Material Texture's.png

This is a common problem with imported textures.  when you look at the texture by itself, your eye can't pick up the differences between the left and right sides (or top and bottom).  But when you map them to a wall, it is obvious that the texture has differences.  It is possible to fix these difference using a program like photoshop.  Personally, I think that it takes some real skill to fix these kinds of issues which is why there are people called "graphic artists" who have no problem doing this.

How I usually solve these problems is to find something in the Chief library that is close enough. Sometimes you can use a Chief material and then use the "blend color" with material to adjust the color to your liking without having to create a brand new material.

The other thing you can do is take a look at using substance player to create your own custom textures.  I am no expert but it looks like it can be pretty useful to generate a variety of different materials.  You can find more info here:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21560-custom-material-generation-with-substance-player/

• Like 1

Looks like that it is a direct consequence of using the PBR in X15 ? I’m sure someone here can explain more about how to edit that texture so it appears correctly in a camera view.

If you have access to X14 or prior does the applied texture behave in the same manner ?

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, NeilofOZ said:

I have imported a texture finish ( face brick ) which shows bands of diferent colours, have attached the image below and it looks consistant enough, so what is the cause of these bands.

Have attached images of the wall and texture.

Bremer Bay face brick.jpg

Material Texture's.png

As I am not that experienced with different programs to manipulate photos, one easy way I've used to avoid this repeat colour variation on a straight forward material shape with straight assembly lines is to take a screen shot of only one of the blocks with half the grout line (or full grout on only one end and the bottom). Open up a new CAD detail, import the screenshot then duplicate it to make a pattern (it also will make the pattern start on a full block on the top and bottom and eliminate your colour mismatch vertically). Once you have the pattern made, screen shot it again and file it with your other CA materials so as to not loose it. Then make a new material in your library sizing the sample appropriately (don't forget to calculate the grout thickness as well) just like you already have done with this sample. If your single block is the same colour, then your material sample will will match seamlessly over the whole wall. Most snapshots I take off the web have natural shadows that produce the colour variations you are seeing. Pared down to a single block often minimizes the shadow issues vs the shadows on many feet of the sample size. If the same colour block wall is what you are after, the one block approach works well.

If you are wanting randomness, I have also done square/rectangle shapes in a random mosaic of multi colours for a larger floor sample, thus minimizing the repeat pattern commonly found with 60" samples. A 12'x14' (or larger) pattern is fairly quick to make and usually fits most rooms / patios. Again, take individual screenshots of each stone/block and import onto a new CAD detail. Set up a CAD box to your x' X x' and resize your import stone pics to their appropriate size, randomly make your pattern with the multiple size/colour/shape until it fills the 12'x14' you are after. Screenshot and make your new material sized appropriately and Bob's your uncle.

Here is a sample where I also manipulated the colour of the same stone picture in CA with the material colour 'Blend with Texture". I think there are four stone pics made into 10 different ones by rotating and blending with a colour. I'm not very computer educated so having decent rendering pics really is achievable on CA with limited computer skills and knowledge. Now, RTRT is well beyond my level my reach as I'm on a Mac, but if you are looking for a regular standard type render, this works well. Give it a try and good luck.

1630718068_LImestoneFloorSquare.thumb.png.5065d58febf39762ad4c00330068cd5c.png  1894979356_Limestone1.png.e8631080aadc79d0f23d1ffc1b3daf9f.png  1323635490_RotateBlend.thumb.png.b43f97262ad00f5d2c69d976881f22c2.png

• Like 1