Material won't cover entire wall without having multiple duplicates

JamesBolger

This may be the first time I've experienced this issue. I found a stone veneer that matches the existing exterior of a house I'm doing some design work for. As you can see from the picture there are several duplicates of the stone I pasted to the wall. Is there a way to cover the entire wall with one instead of multiple? Seems like the material isn't large enough which is ridiculous. Aby suggestions would be helpful.

20240228_204525.jpg

You can use the "Stretch to Fit" option but then there is scale to think about if your wall is much bigger than the material image.  Ideally you want to find a "Seamless"  image file but I have not had much success with that for natural stone as you would need to have all your border stones cut almost in half which never seems to work out so you end up with something that ends up looking a bit wonky every time.  It also depends on what distance it is viewed from as if it is just a background item then you can get away with quite a bit but if it is a feature item then you will end up being scrutinized.  You may be able to carefully crop what you have and make it seamless but it is definitely challenging. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Ideally you want to find a "Seamless"  image file but I have not had much success with that for natural stone as you would need to have all your border stones cut almost in half which never seems to work out so you end up with something that ends up looking a bit wonky every time.

Not if it's done right. For stone, I would open my source file in a raster editor like Photoshop or Gimp, Cut (not copy) a decent-width slice of the entire left edge and paste it over TOP of the stone on the right edge. This will force the left and right edges to blend seamlessly. Then, with judicious use of the Eraser tool with a fuzzy edge paintbrush tip, and maybe some Copy / Paste and a little creative Rubber Stamp tool work, you can carefully blend the left edge of the stone you pasted into the stone beneath. Repeat for top / bottom, then crop the image down to the new size subtracting the areas you cut.

The larger the source image to begin with the better, since you will still see stones repeating in a pattern. But this gets rid of the hard edges seen in the OP.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JamesBolger said:

This may be the first time I've experienced this issue. I found a stone veneer that matches the existing exterior of a house I'm doing some design work for. As you can see from the picture there are several duplicates of the stone I pasted to the wall. Is there a way to cover the entire wall with one instead of multiple? Seems like the material isn't large enough which is ridiculous. Aby suggestions would be helpful.

20240228_204525.jpg

Here's another option I've employed several times with decent results:

https://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/make-seamless-texture.php

• Upvote 1