Two foundation types for one building

Mackenzie

Hello, I am working on an addition to a home and we have a full design already but I am trying to get a technical drawing put together for the city and builders we'll be bringing in.

The current building is a standard full basement but the addition will be a post and pier foundation and I'm having trouble getting the rest of the homes foundation to remain when I build the grade beam on piers option, how do I represent both at the same time on this print? 

You may notice the siding on the inside of the house, that is from the original/current home shape and the membrane roof portion is new. I'm working on setting new layer defaults so that I can better show the current layout vs planned build but that will take some time and hopefully that is the correct first step but not the issue I really need help with now. Thanks again for taking the time to look over my question.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 8.16.43 PM.png

Exterior 2.plan

36 minutes ago, rlackore said:

1681919330_ScreenShot02-20-24at09_01AM.thumb.JPG.116124860e00e95070c90ab015942d91.JPG

there's gotta be something I'm missing, whether that box is checked or not It deletes my basement foundation when generating the new and I'm not seeing the manual foundation building tools anywhere. 

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 10.40.30 AM.png

14 hours ago, Mackenzie said:

will be a post and pier foundation ..... when I build the grade beam on piers option

Are those 2 different things or just different wording for the same thing? 

All you need to do is draw a foundation wall around the addition. This will create a room so you can define the heights for that foundation room which will control the foundation wall heights.

Then place a pier, review it's settings and then copy it as needed.

First thing to do though is to have 2 different foundation wall types; one for existing and one for new.

1 hour ago, Mackenzie said:

That's what I'm trying to do but I don't know how to do that.

After drawing the 2 foundation walls (set to have no footing), select the room and define it as Crawl Space and then set the foundation wall height. Both foundation walls will build to that height.

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Are those 2 different things or just different wording for the same thing? 

All you need to do is draw a foundation wall around the addition. This will create a room so you can define the heights for that foundation room which will control the foundation wall heights.

Then place a pier, review it's settings and then copy it as needed.

First thing to do though is to have 2 different foundation wall types; one for existing and one for new.

yes, same thing but different wording. I should have caught that but used my phrasing the first time then the wording chief has for what I'm looking the second. It looks like that will work though, currently it's defaulting to a footing instead of beam on pier but I'll look over it and expect that will be an option.

Just now, Mackenzie said:

currently it's defaulting to a footing instead of beam on pier but I'll look over it and expect that will be an option.

That's because a foundation wall with footing is set as your default. This is also why a footing displays in the room specification preview. You can change this at any time!

image.thumb.png.95b1f8bf5783048e448b3028da54f93f.png

10 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

How are you generating? You should be able to simply draw the new foundation walls and not effect anything else.

using the build foundation tool is the only way I know right now.

Edit the Crawlspace room so the floor thickness is zero and the foundation wall height is zero. Select the 2 grade beam walls and uncheck 'sill plate'. For the Addition Room, set the framing group to 2.

Also, it would be better to edit the default floor platform than to set the floor structure room-by-room or floor-by-floor.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, robdyck said:

Edit the Crawlspace room so the floor thickness is zero and the foundation wall height is zero. Select the 2 grade beam walls and uncheck 'sill plate'. For the Addition Room, set the framing group to 2.

Also, it would be better to edit the default floor platform than to set the floor structure room-by-room or floor-by-floor.

Thank you, I think I have it all right now, I certainly have it well enough to convey my ideas to the carpenters which is most important.

On this plan I wanted the rest of the house to be full basement but then have that addition portion drawn as a different foundation, would you still recommend editing the defaults for that? I know I should start focusing on learning to properly use the defaults either way though as I'm surely wasting some time editing things

1 minute ago, Mackenzie said:

would you still recommend editing the defaults for that?

I would usually keep the default set for either the most prevalent type of construction or the most important. The previous exercise was really to help you understand the function.

When I'm drawing an addition to a house with a foundation wall and an assumed footing, I don't show the footing in plan view UNLESS there has been exploratory excavation to determine the footings existence and size OR unless there are building plans available for the existing structure. I make clear delineation in all drawing types between existing structure and new structure.  A simple method for you to consider is to show all existing structure with a medium grey line color and a light grey solid fill. 

• Like 1