Show stairs on two different floor levels

Ed_Orum

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

13 minutes ago, Ed_Orum said:

Is there a way to show (plan view) stairs on the second floor and first floor at the same time?
Thanks,
Lane

Do a search for that question in this forum (been asked and answered hundreds of times.   And additionally you can search the help file, specifically for "reference layer display".

• Solution

You should usually draw your stairs going up from the current floor to the next floor.  They will then show up on the next floor as long as they are in an open below room.  You can handle most other situations using reference display.

12 hours ago, Ed_Orum said:

Is there a way to show (plan view) stairs on the second floor and first floor at the same time?
Thanks,
Lane

Before you mess with reference displays...why would you show a staircase on 2 floors? I may have a different approach

Premier X15

Using Windows 10

I have the same question, but I want to be able to see the exterior staircase I created on the main floor on the second floor.  For years I have just had to draw lines in to show there are stairs going down.

Thank you ahead for any responses.

For an exterior stair to show, you either have to create a fake room with invisible walls and make it open below or use reference display. 

I would probably never draw it manually, but if I really did want to, I would do a cad detail from view of just the stair I want and then make it into a cad block.  Of course if I wanted it aligned properly, I would turn on reference display and then I might wonder if maybe I could use the reference display instead of having to draw it.  So I would create a new layer set that just shows the stair and setup a saved plan view with reference display turned on using this new layer set (and being sure to turn off XOR mode since you probably don't want to ever use XOR when using reference display for construction docs).  And guess what, now I have a view showing the stair that is live so that if I have to make any changes then I don't have to redraw anything.

:)

I wish there was a type of reference that viewed stuff below the current level.  Even better it would be neat if you could toggle a setting that would allow editing the items in the referenced layer.  This would enable you to edit items like stairs and site elements, without having to switch to the level where they are hosted.

24 minutes ago, TomBiggs said:

OK.  Are you able to edit items in reference display?  I think I tried once but wasn't successful.

no, but simple to switch to what you are referencing in another tab

On 2/20/2024 at 5:50 AM, Ed_Orum said:

The goal is to show both the stairs from the first floor to the second floor, and from the second floor to the loft in plan view.  

Lane

I think what you are trying to show is this:
image.thumb.png.9591f1874318d2beafe617106d992c97.pngwhich is done from the stair's edit toolbarimage.thumb.png.ce09443df0008d8e0a5efb11462b7eda.png

• Like 1