How can I get rid of the terrain in a room?

binkpear

Go to solution Solved by binkpear,

• Solution

I have a large building and I want to have ICF's off the front to allow for stairs to go down to level 0 and ultimately decks that will be supported on top of the ICF's for level 1. I have tried changing room types, but nothing seems to get rid of the terrain in this area. Also, when I build a deck, the ICF walls raise up to meet the underside of the deck, at least sometimes. I imagine it is something easy I am missing, but I can't locate it. Thanks for your time!

Bret

5138 5th Ave.plan

Thanks for the responses. Moving the terrain from level 1 to level 0 worked. I wasn't aware of that. I still find it confusing as to the best order to design a two storey house with a basement. Do you start with the basement (numbered 1) or start at the main floor? I wish there was a video showing that.

Thanks Mark for the suggestion! I meant to mark your response with 'solution', but accidentally marked my own initial question!

I think the way it works is that the program will cut a hole in the terrain based on the building envelope for the floor the terrain is on.  This will only happen if "hide terrain intersected by building" is checked in your terrain spec dialog.  Sometimes moving the terrain to a better floor works but sometimes it doesn't, for example when the building has a stepped foundation on multiple floors. 

For all cases where the terrain hole isn't the shape you need, you can convert the auto hole into a manual one using the "make terrain hole about building" tool and then manually edit the shape.  You can also just draw a terrain hole wherever you want.