Frieze boards

winterdd

Hey guys, I asked this a while back but need a reminder, how can we prevent the shortage on frieze boards in these situations? It is just a simple porch roof resting on ceiling beams (LVL's) and columns with the frieze turned on "gable only". Just looks unprofessional when I send it off to clients. Not a big deal other than that.

image.thumb.png.adc4e26ef834ad6172eeb5a1606b0fc0.png

The problem is the post to beam railing wall. The frieze does not like to extend along the beam. Also...it's not a "real" beam...it's just a hollow rectangle with a material applied....I wish Chief would improve this feature.

Can you raise the roof just a bit...I created a quick test plan with an 8/12 pitch. I had to raise it about 4" to get a 5.5" frieze to work properly. You can also do a back clipped section close to the surface of the gable wall, open the roof trim layer and unlock it...then you can edit the roof trim frieze. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, winterdd said:

Just looks unprofessional when I send it off to clients.

True enough! On the Attic level, can you make the gable end wall longer? So it matches the overall width of the porch?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

The problem is the post to beam railing wall. The frieze does not like to extend along the beam. Also...it's not a "real" beam...it's just a hollow rectangle with a material applied....I wish Chief would improve this feature.

Can you raise the roof just a bit...I created a quick test plan with an 8/12 pitch. I had to raise it about 4" to get a 5.5" frieze to work properly. You can also do a back clipped section close to the surface of the gable wall, open the roof trim layer and unlock it...then you can edit the roof trim frieze. 

Owner wants it at 6:12. But thanks! Here is what I ended up doing to hide the gaps. It was either this to match the roof returns on the front of the home OR pline solids for these particular frieze boards. The easiest and most novice level homes can be a PITA sometimes.

image.thumb.png.b9288d81abbf6099ea9a0f9a3666236f.png

Why not just hide the gaps with solids?  IMHO, it would look better than the returns.

Does the porch have a flat ceiling or are you planking the rafters to vault it?  Because if vaulted, consider not boxing the soffit, and doing same planked finish on the rafter tails, so you can lose the pork chops out front.

• Like 1

Rob - that looks good and yes, P-Solids are great for these types of situations.

Although, now the owner will probably ask you to change the roof pitch to 8/12...and you're back to changing the P-solids. :)