Walls Not Aligning

Ed_Orum

I am trying to align the upper wall, a pony wall, with the lower wall, a foundation wall.

I have all walls set to align to the main layer.
When I dimension the drawings, the foundation wall and upper walls do not align.
Wha am I doing wrong?  Plan is attached.
Thanks in advance.

Lane

Pool House.plan

22 minutes ago, Ed_Orum said:

I am trying to align the upper wall, a pony wall, with the lower wall, a foundation wall.

I have all walls set to align to the main layer.
When I dimension the drawings, the foundation wall and upper walls do not align.
Wha am I doing wrong?  Plan is attached.
Thanks in advance.

Lane

Pool House.plan 8.03 MB · 1 download

The total thickness of your lower wall (foundation) is 8" but your pony wall (lower section) is 8 15/16".

2 hours ago, Ed_Orum said:

Yes, but what difference does the total wall thickness make when all walls are set to align on the main layer outside?

Your problem appears to be in the wall properties and your default settings. This article from the Knowledge base explains it in detail https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00658/specifying-which-wall-layer-exterior-dimensions-locate.html

3 hours ago, Ed_Orum said:

I assume you're using Automatic Dimensions since there is no problem manually dimensioning to the same layer as the foundation wall.

Check your settings, Automatic Dimensions obey the settings in the Dimension Default, which in your case is set to dimension to the Wall Dimension Layer:

1221913928_ScreenShot2024-01-29at9_58_04AM.thumb.png.5599f65c1c646991e96517d66908a82d.png

...as set in the Wall Specifications > Wall Type Definitions > Wall Properties:

1939984920_ScreenShot2024-01-29at9_50_46AM.thumb.png.1fef09d1c42f9faa24fcaf3c991d6392.png

@Ed_Orum - I opened your plan and rebuilt the foundation. You have your foundation set to build to the face of your stone veneer on your pony wall...therefore, the foundation will be the width of your building...plus the distance to the face of the veneer.

2024-01-30_14-12-24.thumb.png.63582f4675c1b3cb5f794d138b438196.png