Beginner's Help Needed!

DaniellaZV

Hello seasoned CA users, 

I am SUPER new at CA and trying my best to learn. Forgive me for any silly questions. I am currently following along a youtube video demonstrating how to build a bathroom and I cannot figure out how to do a few things... I'm putting them all here below instead of separate forums per each since they're all related to the same video that I'm struggling to complete. :wacko: Also, if needed the instructor is using CA x12 (https://youtu.be/kZiHeOzjPhs?si=t-KCLcPqbpcBl_dr

1.  I have placed two mirrors on my backsplash. However, I want to move these mirrors around but when I try to select the mirror, the backsplash is automatically selected. I literally cannot select JUST the mirror...?

440863722_Screenshot1.thumb.png.9a2928bafd6aa4ec0559e5638280745e.png

2. My shelves inside of the shower wall niche are not sitting inside? Here are the specs for the niche and the shelves per the instructors video which I followed:

943977237_Screenshot2.thumb.png.ccf9ffb28989d6e3da94324089f675ae.pngimage.thumb.png.af048c45006c15d102ab165197fffe1c.pngimage.thumb.png.64513566e3c490821f754ed7440ccce0.png

3. My tub spout will not go over my tub seamlessly the way that the instructors does... she seems to be able to drag the spout into the tub so that it is above it but mine will not overlap the tub. Almost like the two items are blocked and won't overlap? First screenshot is the instructors, second and third are how mine look:

985646729_Screenshot2024-01-16212020.thumb.png.90158c4d1d4f51eff0830f7edde0d6e0.png190161005_Screenshot2023-12-27194450.thumb.png.44a3284e9dd4759cd292d901fd5c08d8.png2143244362_Screenshot2023-12-27194259.thumb.png.af029bc4f2ea01b71249f384e97f7a4a.png

Screenshot 2023-12-27 194450.png

Try pressing the ctrl for windows or cmd on  mac when moving the shelves and bath spout , and when selecting  mirrors hit the tab key it will select things below it keep hit it until what you want is selected

Welcome!  Looks like you are doing a great job for being so new to the program.

• As Mark mentioned, while in plan view, click on tub filler or mirror or shelf to highlight it, then hold the Command button down while moving the mouse to more easily move the highlighted object.  
  • For more learning, try the training videos on Chiefarchitect.com  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/
  • Or try on demand training through Chiefarchitect.com (see attachment). 

Good luck!

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 8.49.09 PM.png

16 hours ago, Mark3D said:

Try pressing the ctrl for windows or cmd on  mac when moving the shelves and bath spout , and when selecting  mirrors hit the tab key it will select things below it keep hit it until what you want is selected

Thank you! I was able to use ctrl and clicking the tub filler to move it into position! 

But I'm still not able to only select the mirror on the backsplash without selecting the entire backsplash...I tried doing what you said by clicking tab but it didn't seem to work?

15 hours ago, SusanC said:

Welcome!  Looks like you are doing a great job for being so new to the program.

• As Mark mentioned, while in plan view, click on tub filler or mirror or shelf to highlight it, then hold the Command button down while moving the mouse to more easily move the highlighted object.  
  • For more learning, try the training videos on Chiefarchitect.com  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/
  • Or try on demand training through Chiefarchitect.com (see attachment). 

Good luck!

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 8.49.09 PM.png

Thank you! I'm trying my best getting as much out of the training videos here and Youtube! For the most part they've helped a lot but there's some bits where I get a little hung up on so these forums are awesome. I was able to move the tub filler thank you! And yes, I see now how to move the mirror in plan view but was wondering if there's a way to move it in perspective view? On the instructional video she seems to select and move it in the perspective view but when I try I am only able to click the backsplash...

1 hour ago, DaniellaZV said:

Thank you! I'm trying my best getting as much out of the training videos here and Youtube! For the most part they've helped a lot but there's some bits where I get a little hung up on so these forums are awesome. I was able to move the tub filler thank you! And yes, I see now how to move the mirror in plan view but was wondering if there's a way to move it in perspective view? On the instructional video she seems to select and move it in the perspective view but when I try I am only able to click the backsplash...

shouldn't be a problem selecting a fixture like a mirror, can you possibly do a screen recording of what you are doing to try and select it in a perspective camera?

3 hours ago, DaniellaZV said:

But I'm still not able to only select the mirror on the backsplash without selecting the entire backsplash...I tried doing what you said by clicking tab but it didn't seem to work?

Don't hold the Tab key while clicking. Click once, which is selecting the backsplash, then just hit Tab to select the next object near whatever was selected with the first click. Click, > then hit Tab and nothing else. It may require a few hits on Tab to get what you want.

Daniella,

• You can try moving the mirror in a 3d view, an elevation view, or a plan view.  Sometimes one view is easier than the other.  Click on the mirror and if it does not highlight, let go of the mouse and press "tab" once and it should highlight the mirror.  Be sure to try all 3 options if you're having trouble and try zooming in - that can help too.  I'm assuming this is just a plain mirror that you selected out of the library and placed on the wall and not something embedded in the tile?
  • Also, you might want to fill in your "signature" so we know what version of Chief you are working in and whether you are on a Mac or a PC.  Click on your name to get a drop down menu to take you to settings and then click on signature.  :)  

Susan

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 5.44.39 PM.png