Why does Chief not turn off layers intersected by a roof out front?

KnotSquare

In this screen shot, the red and cyan areas should not have siding behind them as they are forward of each wall behind it. The red is out front of the wall at the main roof and the bay is easier to see, but in front of the lower gable wall.

757037315_Polylineproducedby3Dwalleditor.thumb.png.3c948f53dbcfe5b131595b6afcb4b82f.png2118242015_PerspectiveFramingOverviewwithAtticWallsOn.thumb.png.ebc41746f0492e9566c636307f842b01.png

It seems that it was the case in the past that exterior materials were trimmed by such constructed objects out front. I do have a special wall type, complying with 2021 IECC standards.544983158_Screenshot2024-01-04174324.thumb.png.84e10da5d780c54c37260edb3f7add71.png

Hi, Have you tried using a “Wall Material Region” and see how that reflects in the ML ? See if it is possible ti give it a negative value in order for it to deduct from the siding ?

If that doesn’t work then you could leave that gable with no siding and use the WMR to create siding for that gable.

Please see this video on FMR & WMR. I am sure you will figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxvwbt_R7_g

@mthd97

Checking out the video link now. What did you mean by. "See if it is possible ti give it a negative value in order for it to deduct from the siding ?" realizing the question marks were likely referencing a concept, not a tried and true method. Negative space or thickness?

I use material regions to paint rooms, etc., but have no idea how it will affect the amount of siding and/or exterior insulation is calculated. I will post back here if I learn anything new while trying to figure this out.

Mark

3 hours ago, solver said:

I may not understand.

1907170103_ct1.thumb.PNG.1f78fc234c54d1b0e923dddb5a31065f.PNG

Try this Eric nows his stuff it seem like it should work you just need a new wall with out sidding then change to that wall with dropdown box

What I learned from the negative space experiment using a Wall Material Region...

@Mark3D

Eric usually does. I did not get what he was trying however. I will try that next if I can figure out what he did.

• Like 1

@solver

Mark just copied what you had. I was not paying attention. Instead of glass block I need a wall type of framing, drywall inside, sheathing outside as the lower wall.

Look like the solution. On to that now.

Thanks Eric. You do make us think it through...

Mark

3 hours ago, KnotSquare said:

@mthd97

Checking out the video link now. What did you mean by. "See if it is possible ti give it a negative value in order for it to deduct from the siding ?" realizing the question marks were likely referencing a concept, not a tried and true method. Negative space or thickness?

Hi Mark. I didn’t mean that the WMR would cut your siding out. I meant that if it had a negative value in the ML, so that it would deduct from the total area of your siding.

My other suggestion was to have no siding at all, on that particular Gable as others have suggested above. Then use a WMR to draw the siding that you need in manually and look for it in the ML calculations. 

Anyway you have figured it out by the looks ?

Yes it would be good if we had a method of cutting out materials to stop them from making the ML inaccurate.

One of the Chief Masters here might have a trick or two up their sleeves, to get that roof that meets that gable to cut out that siding triangle that you do not need ?