New Computer Build

DH7777

Hi I'm getting ready to make a new purchase for my laptop. I know generally what I need but love to get some good suggestions on a solid build that will work best for CA x15. I will also be using AutoCad 2024 and sometimes I have them both open. I currently am using a Omen gaming computer with 512 GB Inte SSD + 32 GB, intel Optane memory,  32 GB SDRAM , intel core i7, Nivida geforce gtx 1660 Ti   It seems to work fine but should I upgrade anything?

On 11/13/2023 at 12:47 PM, DH7777 said:

Hi I'm getting ready to make a new purchase for my laptop. I know generally what I need but love to get some good suggestions on a solid build that will work best for CA x15. I will also be using AutoCad 2024 and sometimes I have them both open. I currently am using a Omen gaming computer with 512 GB Inte SSD + 32 GB, intel Optane memory,  32 GB SDRAM , intel core i7, Nivida geforce gtx 1660 Ti   It seems to work fine but should I upgrade anything?

Generally only the SSD (or NVME) or Ram are upgradable on Laptops and as noted in you other Thread the GTX series of videocards won't work for PBR RTRT abd unfortunately the 1660Ti GPU is not upgradable ( at least it is very rare for laptops to have upgradable GPU's unlike desktops but MSI and Lenovo have plenty of options depending on your budget and BF is just around the corner.

Mick.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:11 PM, Kbird1 said:

Generally only the SSD (or NVME) or Ram are upgradable on Laptops and as noted in you other Thread the GTX series of videocards won't work for PBR RTRT abd unfortunately the 1660Ti GPU is not upgradable ( at least it is very rare for laptops to have upgradable GPU's unlike desktops but MSI and Lenovo have plenty of options depending on your budget and BF is just around the corner.

Mick.

Yes I just uploaded the new CA 2024 and you are correct. PBR does not work on my laptop setup so I will definitely be upgrading my laptop. So now my question is what exactly is  a must have to allow my new laptop to run CA 2024 smoothly? My budget is $1700-$2200 

This just popped up on my phone , so I thought I'd share the Post   as I have a client that got the i7 variant and 4070 /13900hx back in July and she is happy with it for chief.....:) 

* do you due diligence and check at Lenovo itself too just in case their BF Sale has started early too 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1745682-REG/lenovo_82wk0083us_16_legion_pro_5i.html

I purchased this last Friday on sale for $2199.99. It was supposed to be store pick up today, hope it comes in tomorrow. I know it is a little over your budget, how ever you can upgrade ram and storage over time.

ASUS ROG Strix 18" 240Hz Gaming Laptop QHD-Intel 13th Gen Core i9 with 16GB Memory-NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080-1TB SSD Eclipse Gray G814JZ-G18.I94080 - Best Buy

I plan to update it to 64GB ram, and add a second m.2 2TB, I will upgrade the org m.2 to 2TB in a few months.

Jason the computer showed up! Added the 64gb ram, Upgraded The 1TB m.2 to 2TB m.2, Added a second 2TB m.2., Upgraded Windows 11 to Pro.

All is working well. Installed all the programs on it. (still fine tuning the programs)

Very pleased with the performance of this computer!!!!! 

8 hours ago, OkcDesigner said:

Jason the computer showed up! Added the 64gb ram, Upgraded The 1TB m.2 to 2TB m.2, Added a second 2TB m.2., Upgraded Windows 11 to Pro.

I keep reading about people having problems with fan whine. Do you have any?

Its a toss up between this and the Alienware M18. The M18 with 64GB 4090, 4TB, is $1400 off with a discount. and the Scar 18 32GB, 2TB is $1000 off. So basically they are the same price. Although screen sizes are the same the M18 is 9 lbs vs 7lbs for the Scar. and the M18 is larger footprint

29 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

Its a toss up between this and the Alienware M18. The M18 with 64GB 4090, 4TB, is $1400 off with a discount. and the Scar 18 32GB, 2TB is $1000 off. So basically they are the same price. Although screen sizes are the same the M18 is 9 lbs vs 7lbs for the Scar. and the M18 is larger footprint

Did you checkout the Lenovo 7i Pro line for comparison?   I looked yest. and pricing wasn't bad I thought depending on Model, strangely pricing has increase $100-120 today on the 4070-4080 models , so you might want to wait till later tonight or tomorrow to actually buy....

M.

2 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

only 16" screen.

I try and get all the real estate I can. My current is a 17" so I want to be that size or larger.  HP omen was another one I was looking at although the sale it had a few weeks ago seems to be over

Ah ok, I was thinking of going down to 16 from my 17" Scar in my sig.  I didn't actually look but would of assumed they had 18" models too.

On 11/23/2023 at 1:01 PM, SHCanada2 said:

So far so good, from what I read it was with models with under 330w power supply. Seems good for now.

edited to add this.

I just got back from best buy where they just price matched my computer to their sale price of $1,999.99 today. So my total savings was $500.00 of regular price. 

On 11/25/2023 at 8:45 PM, OkcDesigner said:

I just got back from best buy where they just price matched my computer to their sale price of $1,999.99 today. So my total savings was $500.00 of regular price. 

I went to pay for my cart at checkout last Thursday and the Scar 18 vanished, sold out :angry:. We are fortunate up here, the higher end laptops when they go on sale end up being about 25% less than the US, but its no use if they are sold out..

I dropped this in a laptop thread.  But does anyone else go through a high amount of expensive laptops?

Regarding laptops for x15.

I purchased an alienware M17 R5 (made by dell)
Processor    AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX with Radeon Graphics           3.30 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.2 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

numerous phone supports sessions

i have had 3 site visits for onsite tech support,

they switched out the actual laptop with a refurbished unit.  

After 1 month of use the refurbished laptop started crashing and running slow.  

I started another support ticket!

the warranty expired during the support ticket.  They have deleted the support ticket and stated they would not sell me an extended warranty because the computer was broken.  

During my call to Dell today, (which resulted in them denying the support) I spoke with a very knowledgeable tech who was polite, and as helpful as he could be within their rules.  He said that my use of the laptop may be causing the issues.  Chief is my only use other than email and buildertrend.    

so take this into consideration when purchasing a 2500.00 laptop.  (this is my 3rd laptop in 3 years.)

razer 15, got hot, bulged the battery replaced the battery and power supply.  Used this heavy for probably 2 years.  

Legion 5, would not render high graphics renders, clay, ray trace

lenova legion s7, would not render high end graphics, clay or raytrace.  crashed if clicked.  

I then went to the Alienware M17, r5.  this was according to the guy at Best Buy be the best model for chief and my use.  

So maybe i should be looking at a desktop?

My 17" Aorus w/3080 works well. No heat issues that caused any damage and I used it on a desk, plane, on my lap, on my bed. My wife's laptop broke so I'm giving her this one. I just ordered an Alienware 18" 4090 as it was $1200 off the price. If the new Aorus 17.3 was on sale I would buy it as the form factor is better than the Alienware.

In my experience the fans only really start to get active when I have a rendering active, which most of the time is not the case. So to answer your question, a laptop is fine for my work.