What's happening to moldings?

marlem2000

Hi there! :)

I'm getting a strange problem since long time ago. I just apply moldings to my designs. I see them correctly in standard view but they look totally different in the physical mode. :unsure:Their color changes and it's like they have light all over. Is it a problem of configuration or of my graphic card?:unsure:

Many thanks for your help!:D

capture.jpg

standard.jpg

Do you have a roof on your project. That could be light bleed. This occurs when a model is not built correctly and you are using RTRT.  Also, this can be a symptom of not enough general lighting in the scene. To say the least, setting up a room for a really good RTRT view is not a simple equation.

I am not seeing the same results as you in a simple plan I was playing with.  I get a little bit of light bleed around the edges of my chair rail near some windows but what you are seeing does not look like light bleed.  It looks more like the molding is not responding to the light in the room the same as the other objects.

Is that a room molding or a custom molding poly?  Are you using a custom profile or is it one from the core library?  These are important because maybe you setup the profile or the molding poly wrong.

I assume that is a custom material on the molding.  Maybe you have setup your material properties wrong.

You might want to post your plan so that others can see if they are getting the same results.  I would recommend posting a stripped down version without all of the furnishings though.

1 hour ago, Gawdzira said:

Do you have a roof on your project. That could be light bleed. This occurs when a model is not built correctly and you are using RTRT.  Also, this can be a symptom of not enough general lighting in the scene. To say the least, setting up a room for a really good RTRT view is not a simple equation.

Hi, Gawdzira; many thanks for your help.:) I have no experience at all with roofs. I always build them by default. I have attached a screenshot of my roof configuration. It's always the same for every project.:unsure:

Maybe I should remove the RTRT. The problem is I cannot unmark it.

Captura.JPG

Captura2.JPG

I don't really know anything about the GTX 960, but I am going to guess that since the raytracing stuff is disabled that your video card does not support it.  You can tell for sure by going into your preferences and looking at your "video card status" and see if it says "yes" next to "hardware ray tracing".

I also think the problem might not be related to your video card and is either a model or material problem.  See my previous post.

27 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

It looks more like the molding is not responding to the light in the room the same as the other objects.

Is that a room molding or a custom molding poly?  Are you using a custom profile or is it one from the core library?  These are important because maybe you setup the profile or the molding poly wrong.

I assume that is a custom material on the molding.  Maybe you have setup your material properties wrong.

I downloaded the molding from 3D Warehouse so, maybe, I did something wrong. :(Anyway, I replaced this molding by one included in the Core Library. Then, I applied 2 different colors. It seems now it's looking a bit better. Anyway I guess something is happening with it. :unsure:

1.jpg

2.jpg

15 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

You can tell for sure by going into your preferences and looking at your "video card status" and see if it says "yes" next to "hardware ray tracing".

I also think the problem might not be related to your video card and is either a model or material problem.  See my previous post.

It's clear that my graphic card doesn't support hardware ray tracing. :unsure:This means that something happened with the materials used. I'll have to make different tries and see if the view improves.

Captura.JPG

1 hour ago, marlem2000 said:

It's clear that my graphic card doesn't support hardware ray tracing

Yes , you need a Nvidia 2000, 3000 or 4000 Series Videocard to support X15 RTRT, however  I thought if the Hardware was not Capable, then Chief uses the older PBR "Light Engine" from X12 , but as you have X15 I would Open a Tech. Support case ( through your Online Account) and ask a few questions and get the info direct from Chief.

A newer Videocard maybe an option too for a Desktop computer, they have come down in price quite a lot this year....

Mick.

• Upvote 1