6 winders on U stairs

gelbuilding

I assume it is the 6 winders that you are having trouble with?

You can use the U shaped stair dbx, but that creates landings for the treads.

Or you can start with a curved stair, but I think the following way is the easiest.

Start by drawing an enclosed room the size of your stairs - you need to enclose the stairs so that the Winders have walls to extend to.

Draw a straight section of stairs with about 4 treads (or you can start with a curved stair).

Select it and use the end drag handle plus the Ctrl key to drag the end of the stairs around so they become curved and the start and end are co-planer.

You may need to relocate the stairs and change the centre radius, etc, to clean things up.

Open the dbx and lock the number of treads at 6 and check Winders.

Add the straight sections as required. 

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 10.09.23 am.jpg

• Upvote 1

This may help. The winders aren't coming to a point like in your plan, but the concept is there.

The stairs can be modified to suit your floor plans.  

Our codes in the US don't allow them to converge so tightly.  

We need 6" of space at the narrowest part of the tread.

By the way, the walls are invisible (glass) as they encompass the stair. For a better view. 

Good luck. It can be tricky indeed.  

Untitled 1.jpg

Stairs.plan

• Upvote 1

You can either use a curved stair section or individual landings.  Personally, if I want the layout of the winders to be accurate, then I will use individual landings since you have more control over the position and shape of each step.

Here is a tech article that has some good info:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00884/creating-winder-stairs.html

And here is a video with some basic info:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/394/creating-winder-stairs.html?playlist=89

If you need exactly that, then I think that you will have to use landings.

The problem will be the separation between the flights and the meeting point between all the landings.

The winders (or landings) show odd shape at their narrowest point which you will only get with custom landings.

Chief stairs will only join the winders to a point or if you want a separation between the flights, it will be rounded, not square as shown.

George,

I just had another good look at the detail you posted and noticed that your winder stairs do come to a point.

I know you have finished, but it looks like winder stair method would be suitable (as opposed to the landing method).

Which method did you end up using?