Dual Color Door

GrizzlyBear

I would like to make an exterior barn door with 2 colors but can't seem to find a way to do it natively in chief. I actually resorted to building a model in sketchup for the other (dutch) barndoors in my plan and imported them. I was unable to import them exactly the way I wanted but they will do. Is there anyway to achieve this with Chief only?

image.thumb.png.5aba81a599b0d47d74dce7c94df16d92.png

I would like to make the edges and diagonal members white and the two triangles grey.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes build the doors in chief and apply the different materials prior to creating the door symbol and then they can continue to be adjusted independently.

image.thumb.png.6df65f90bef50882ec6470e2c1031067.png

Not sure what you mean by "build the doors in chief". Does it involve drawing it with CAD lines and then using the convert polyline tool? I think I read a tutorial on that before. Let me see if I can find it.

1 minute ago, GrizzlyBear said:

Not sure what you mean by "build the doors in chief". Does it involve drawing it with CAD lines and then using the convert polyline tool? I think I read a tutorial on that before. Let me see if I can find it.

Yes maybe not quite as easy as Sketchup but using all the cad tools and or moldings etc. to create it in 3D.

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Actually Chief has one that might work in the "Doors No. 1 Sliding Barn" Bonus Catalog that might work.

Yes, that is what is pictured in my original post. The diagonal brace door to be exact. It is perfect for what I want but can't find an option to paint it two different colors that I'm trying to achieve.

I am getting the same dialog as GrizzlyBear.  I think this is controlled by the door symbol and not by whether or not the door is int/ext.  My guess is that Chopsaw has an older version of the library that used to have more materials assigned to it.  Maybe he could post it on the forum to share?  @Chopsaw

At any rate, it would be pretty easy to create your own symbol just using poly solids and that would be a useful skill to have for future doors that Chief doesn't have.  Here is a tech article  that might help:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01808/creating-a-custom-door.html

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DBCooper said:

My guess is that Chopsaw has an older version of the library that used to have more materials assigned to it.  Maybe he could post it on the forum to share?

Interesting.  You might be correct as I did not rush to update all my catalogues with x15.  Sad that the symbol has been down graded if that is in fact what happened.

Give this one a try:

Old Diagonal Brace Door.calibz

On 9/18/2023 at 8:10 AM, GrizzlyBear said:

Chief KB Article .......making the Barn Door should be simpler than this especially using copy/paste/reflect etc........ but this outlines the process from start to finish.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01808/creating-a-custom-door.html

Don't think chief has a video on this process but Eric ( Solver ) may ?

Mick.