Ceiling Above Stair and Balcony Question

DRyeHD

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

I've not had much trouble with ceilings above stairs in the past but this one is giving me fits.  I hope someone can explain what I'm doing wrong.  I've got a sloped ceiling plane above the living and dining area.  There's a balcony (landing) that hangs over part of the living roo0m and a closet under part of the balcony.  So, as the camera shows, I can't get the sloped ceiling plane to cover the stairs.  There's a room divider between living and dining that I think is causing some of the problem.  I'm attaching the .pln file if someone wants to take a look at it.

On a side note, how can I make the bottom stair portion open underneath and the top stair portion closed risers?

barham.png

Barham.zip

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Stairs: Press shift, then select the upper stair and uncheck "Open Risers".

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Open the ceiling plane, uncheck "Use Room Ceiling Finish"

@robdyck, I think I've used the stair option before...just been a while.  The ceiling plane is a new one for me.  Thanks so much.  Easy fixes...just got to know where to find them.

One more quick question.  I did the electrical plan but the living room can lights are resting on the 12' (which for the living and dining is "not flat above") ceiling plane instead of the sloped ceiling.  Is there an easy way to get the can lights against the sloped ceiling plane?

1 hour ago, DRyeHD said:

Is there an easy way to get the can lights against the sloped ceiling plane?

Move them to the 2nd floor. Select, ctrl-x, move to 2nd floor, ctrl-alt-v.

To draw plan view electrical connections, I typically use a break line on both floors to 'interrupt' the wiring line. Others may have better ways.

Double check to make sure your can lights are marked as "ceiling mounted" and "flush mounted" under "options".   If that doesn't solve the problem, then they probably are not finding the ceiling plane.  Make sure they are drawn on the same floor the ceiling plane is drawn on for them to find it.

@robdyck I'd like to keep the electrical symbols on the first floor since that's where the switches are.  I see what you are talking about though. 

@DBCooper they are all marked correctly.  They are finding the 9' ceiling in the kitchen area for some reason.  They Liv/Din sloped clg plane is drawn on the first floor.  I'll keep experimenting.

Thank you both for your input.

5 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

They are finding the 9' ceiling in the kitchen area for some reason

That reason is because that's the ceiling elevation for those rooms. You can raise the ceiling elevation for the Living Rm and the Dining Rm to +/- 222".

This will then require some adjustments to walls / attic walls and perhaps other items.

@solver thanks for taking time to make the video tutorial.  There are several things I saw that I can use frequently; the ceiling heigh to "1000" and using the stair angle for ceiling planes and light angles.  This will help with fixing some of my problems.  I did "undefault" some items and I need to get a better grasp on how to do things the right way.  I never stop learning this program.  Thanks and have a great weekend.