Cabinet Ordering..Gotta be a better way

RobUSMC

I was wondering how others order cabinets. I’m a dealer for several companies but my main is Custom Wood Products. There is a CWP catalog in CA but it’s not great.  I spend soooo much time going thru each cabinet and specifying every detail which takes time. See attached. Once that is done, I print the elevations out and head over the the CWP online ordering system. Using my printed elevations I enter each cabinet and check off each custom detail until done.  I would say, if I’m not interrupted throughout the day (LOL) a large kitchen will take me 3+ days.  A current kitchen order I’m working on has $117K just in cabinets so making an error is not an option.  I would like to hear what others do or any suggestions.

IMG_3554.png

IMG_3555.png

IMG_3556.png

1 hour ago, RobUSMC said:

I would like to hear what others do or any suggestions.

I used a system where ALL of the information for any brand was contained in library objects (now style pallettes). This included methods to include details.

That all ends up in a schedule. It can also automatically show up in a selected plan view.

The schedule gets copied and pasted into a spread sheet. A little sheet manipulation then allows every: cabinet code, mod code, sides, hinging...whatever is needed to be placed directly into an on line ordering system. Most of the systems I came across allowed that information to be drag and dropped into it. It never took a full day, rarely 4 hours for a big job. Lot of modest kitchen orders were done in an hour or two including checking.

With some though you could likely figure it out from that. OTOH...

I can teach it to you and set it up to start (or completely per brand and advise for a while). Not free.

I am away until August 8th. In Seattle tomorrow then no contact till the 8th. If you are interested email me or PM before by the time I am back.

I intended to write up a booklet (not video but may include a little) with this and some of my other stuff but life gets in the way. Maybe get it done a little after IBS if you want to wait for the cheap way out.

Edit- I should add that I also used part of this method to write orders for brands that did NOT have an online system but needed a printed order. The only difference was I had to put in prices. I may have a very old vid of placing order on line laying around somewhere.

Consistently used this with  QCCI, Mountaineer (basically Rich Maid codes, a lot like CWP),& Showplace. ...a few orders with both Luxor & Elmwood.

We use 2020 DESIGN which is a cabinet design software to handle all of our orders - that said; we haven't upgraded out system in over 10 years because their current product is subscription based and costs thousands to 'lease' each year.  The older version was a buy once and it's yours model.

We get our catalogs from the manufacturers we buy from, but they also have 'blank catalogs' you can custom tailor for your own use.  If you can get your hands on an old version of 2020 like vs. 10.3 this might be able to speed up your process, but ultimately - if working with the cabinets schedules works for you, getting faster at Chief may be a better option.  

If you find you're using the same 'cabinet builds' for multiples projects (eg - accessories) create a custom catalog in your chief library to pull from.  At least this will keep you from having to duplicate work in the future.

8 hours ago, DeLayDesign said:

We use 2020 DESIGN which is a cabinet design software to handle all of our orders - that said; we haven't upgraded out system in over 10 years because their current product is subscription based and costs thousands to 'lease' each year.  The older version was a buy once and it's yours model.

We get our catalogs from the manufacturers we buy from, but they also have 'blank catalogs' you can custom tailor for your own use.  If you can get your hands on an old version of 2020 like vs. 10.3 this might be able to speed up your process, but ultimately - if working with the cabinets schedules works for you, getting faster at Chief may be a better option.  

If you find you're using the same 'cabinet builds' for multiples projects (eg - accessories) create a custom catalog in your chief library to pull from.  At least this will keep you from having to duplicate work in the future.

I used to carry a cabinet line that only accepted 2020 orders so I had to get a single license to do that but only used it for ordering and not for any design work.  I did all my design work in Chief then had to go over and use 2020 for the order. It was a long duplicated process.  We no longer carry that line.

All I can say is somebody's gotta do it.  Those kitchens, even the simple ones, don't order themselves.  You can take a set of plans to Lowe's or Depot, and sit at a desk with someone for an hour or more, and get a buy done for a custom kitchen, because they are using up to date config software from the cab makers.  But to do that you need to be paid to be doing the level of cab layouts and details on the con docs that facilitate that, and the time required to go and do the quoting, including all the detail checking, editing, revising, etc.  There are some snooty shops around here that won't do your quote for free, requiring an appointment, and a healthy design fee.

I have two builder clients that "build" the cabinets on site using "unbundled" buying.  Carcases all flatpacked from a CNC-cutter, fronts, drawerboxes, and trim from Walzcraft in Lacrosse, WI, and hardware from the usual supply houses that sell to the cab makers.  These are expensive-looking kitchens at far less cost than otherwise.  I do the orders for them using eCabinets software, which had a learning curve equivalent to Chief.  Once you are into it, you've built a "seed" cabinet for almost every config of base and wall and tall and fridgebox and corners and desk stuff imaginable, so taking a Chief-drawn plan and batching it for the buy is pretty easy.  In the eCabs output is the buy list for all the d'boxes, doors, and hardware, and the builders use that plus my trim list to order everything.  

• 4 months later...

This Kitchen Quick Tool is a huge timesaver and well worth the $$, rather than modifying your cabinets this includes a ton of common cabinet configurations and items that normally are time consuming. this is a great tool that I recently purchased and would recommend to any kitchen designers out there.  

https://www.rabbittdesign.net/shop/p/kitchen-quick-tools-package