Strange Roof/Wall interference.

Doug_N

Doug, I think this has something to do with your wall types. I can tell you 2 things for sure...Chief doesn't do flush eaves right all the time and Chief doesn't handle ICF walls well when all layers are shown.

I would suggest some quick experiments:

1. make a copy of the plan file and replace all the ICF walls with typical construction to see if the problem persists
  2. make a copy of the plan file and adjust all the ICF walls to use a single main layer that is the entire thickness of the ICF form. See if the problem persists.
  3. same as #2 except no flush eaves
  4. when doing the above, ensure all your walls align from floor-to-floor. There are too many alignment issues.
  5. when doing the above, ensure all main floor and attic wall use default top bottom elevations. 

Of course, you'll need to ensure the walls are located where you want them because there will be changes when re-defining a main layer. Following these steps, you should see a noticeable improvement using auto-roofs. Once that's done, turn of auto-roofs and proceed with cleanup and adjustments. They should be minimal at that point.

My advice would be to leave the display of ICF layers for section and detail views.

The eave issue you are seeing is directly cause by the 'higher eaves boxed' setting. Chief is carrying the boxed eave across from the walk-in closet wall. Obviously this shouldn't happen so even after cleaning up the plan, this is worth sending to TS. That being said, the easy fix is to manually model the soffit by the walk-on closet or use 2 separate roof planes (even though they are co-planar) and hide the plan view line with a CAD mask.

Auto roofs with flush eaves works fine except for one place:

image.thumb.png.4d0fc4596af90a7098e37a68372d5291.png

Boxed eaves work fine across the entire roof.

Boxed eaves with 'higher eaves boxed' works fine except for one place:

image.thumb.png.fbe956f10135f5bf8065e72bac5de230.png

Flush eaves and higher eaves boxed works fine except for the same place as above.

After cleaning up wall definitions and alignments, I built the roofs use auto-roofs. I then copied the troubling roof plane in place and edited the 2 roof planes to achieve the correct eave modelling. The roof plane cleanup took about 30 seconds! To achieve this, I had to overlap the 2 roof planes. The walk-in closet roof had to extend to the garage wall main layer which requires turning off special snapping for that plane.

image.thumb.png.5fd9fec4e1c18c26e29e8d72e7b995b7.png

image.thumb.png.c41c89a2eed7404a96f310dac89b3e62.png

image.thumb.png.76df9a49739ab7ef9c21b57cdd0b68e9.png

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

The eave issue you are seeing is directly cause by the 'higher eaves boxed' setting. Chief is carrying the boxed eave across from the walk-in closet wall. Obviously this shouldn't happen so even after cleaning up the plan, this is worth sending to TS. That being said, the easy fix is to manually model the soffit by the walk-on closet or use 2 separate roof planes (even though they are co-planar) and hide the plan view line with a CAD mask.

Auto roofs with flush eaves works fine except for one place:

image.thumb.png.4d0fc4596af90a7098e37a68372d5291.png

Boxed eaves work fine across the entire roof.

Boxed eaves with 'higher eaves boxed' works fine except for one place:

image.thumb.png.fbe956f10135f5bf8065e72bac5de230.png

Flush eaves and higher eaves boxed works fine except for the same place as above.

i've had the same problem with a floating soffit protruding through the roof as shown in your top pic. i've found that an easy way to fix that is by making a small notch in the roof plane. this eliminates the floating soffit and the "boxed eave" at the other end of the roof.

Soffit.png

Notch 1.png

Notch 2.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-22 at 12.34.20 PM.png