Toolbar Shortcuts

RobUSMC

I added shortcuts to frequently used symbols to my toolbar on my laptop. I wanted to copy those to my desktop. I copied the toolbar folder in the X14 data folder from my laptop and them imported the toolbars to my desktop.  When I open a new plan the shortcut icons are there but they are no longer associated with the symbol I assigned to them on my laptop.  Am I doing something wrong?  I have the same exact library on both

Toolbar Shortcuts.png

Toolbar Shortcuts 2.png

43 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

I have the same exact library on both

You need to copy the DATA files over from your other machines toolbars folder outsied of Chief. You also need to copy over the pngs that associate with those tools if you want the same images.
Also way easier to manage toolbars if you group those items into one toolbar instead of a bunch of toolbars like you have shown

• Upvote 1

I didnt know you could group them into another tool bar.  Is it similar to separating documents into folders?  Ill look in help videos to see if they have one on tool bars.  Thanks

1 minute ago, RobUSMC said:

I didnt know you could group them into another tool bar.  Is it similar to separating documents into folders?  Ill look in help videos to see if they have one on tool bars.  Thanks

just drag a tool from another toolbar ontop of a different toolbars tool

1 hour ago, RobUSMC said:

OK I knew that.  I thought you were saying to group tools in separate tool bars where you can move them around or show or dont show depending on the project

No just simply pointing out that you have a ton of individual toolbars with only 1 tool in each

11 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

When you drag a new tool into an existing toolbar, it will create a new, separate toolbar with only that tool in it, UNLESS you drag/drop the new tool really close to, almost on top of an existing tool in the toolbar you want to add the new tool to. You can see the toolbar highlight when you have the new tool in position to be added to it.

For whatever reason I cant get it to work. When I add a custom symbol icon using the Place Library Object tool onto the plan screen, then assign a symbol to it then drag it up onto a toolbar row, when I try to drop it on top of another custom icon it doesn't create a grouped toolbar. It just inserts it right next to the other icon.  I must be doing something wrong.

I think what Im trying to do is to create a new toolbar and place all my custom symbols in it such as kitchen items, bath items, cabinets and so on.  I guess a parent toolbar with child tools in it.

4 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

For whatever reason I cant get it to work. When I add a custom symbol icon using the Place Library Object tool onto the plan screen, then assign a symbol to it then drag it up onto a toolbar row, when I try to drop it on top of another custom icon it doesn't create a grouped toolbar. It just inserts it right next to the other icon.  I must be doing something wrong.

Unlock your toolbars then edit

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

Unlock your toolbars then edit

Shouldn't need to, they unlock automatically when the Customize Toolbars dialog is open

5 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

When I add a custom symbol icon using the Place Library Object tool onto the plan screen, then assign a symbol to it then drag it up onto a toolbar row,

But I think that's the issue, it sounds like you're planting them as new floating toolbars, then closing the Customize window in order to set it up, and then dragging those floating toolbars up. But that will just dock them next to eachother. instead, when adding them from the Customize dialog, just drop the icon directly onto the toolbar, don't drop it on the Plan view as a floating toolbar. You might even drop a few of them in a row if you know you need several.

The pain is you can only add toolbar butons from the Customize dialog, but you can only customize those buttons outside of that dialog. But that's purely because the Place Library Object buttons are special.

32 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Shouldn't need to, they unlock automatically when the Customize Toolbars dialog is open

I totally misread Rob, thought we were talking about docking, youre right teatime.
and yes sounds like hes just dragging it to a row as opposed to dragging on top of an existing tool.

34 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

The pain is you can only add toolbar butons from the Customize dialog

Not entirely true :) haha :ph34r:

I was trying to drop them on top of one another while they were already in one of the tollbar rows.  I figured out you have to drop them together down in an open plan area then drag the entire group up top.   Thanks for all the help guys

3 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

I was trying to drop them on top of one another while they were already in one of the tollbar rows.  I figured out you have to drop them together down in an open plan area then drag the entire group up top.   Thanks for all the help guys

I'm not sure what you mean, this seems like an odd action. Here:
556621229_ToolbarCreation.thumb.gif.b586fffe26fe3778c506deaab0e61917.gif