Porch railing and garage wall foundation option

SkullMesaRanch

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

When creating a post/beam porch, there's an option to check "foundation."  This is also available for the garage entrance wall.  Based on the 3D view it looks like these are required but why don't they show up in the foundation plan?  Have I missed checking some box.  I've scanning the reference layer list and think I have everything turned on.

porch foundation.png

garge foundation.png

foundation.png

foundation layer.png

Do you have "auto rebuild foundation" turned on?  If not, every time you make a change that would affect your foundation, you would need to manually update your foundation.

If this doesn't help, then I'm not sure I fully understood your questions.  You might need to attach a plan with revised questions.

It looks like your porch room is building a mono slab foundation and your porch railing is building a footing underneath it.  I think these are the "foundation extensions" you are seeing.  Open your porch railings and turn off "foundation wall" and it should look better.  

railing foundation wall.png

Yes, I had the railing foundation (and garage entrance wall foundation) turned off until I started working on the foundation plan page of my construction docs.  When I added a Simpson strong cast in place post base (PB66) there was no concrete on the porch end post to cast into.  Therefore, in order not to have the posts right at the edge of the slab I had to turned on the railing foundation.  This is even more pronounced for the garage entrance.  If you don't turn on the garage foundation wall than there's not enough room on the slab for the garage door framing trim.

I still can't upload my file.  I'll try again later.

• 1 month later...

In order to offset the railing wall from the edge of the slab, I just changed the railing wall thickness.  No need to have the foundation checked (turned on) for the railing wall.  The thickness was adjusted so that the post center (5.5x5.5 post) will be 6" from the edge of the slab.  This seems like a lot but if I use a 1/2" anchor than that's 12 diameters away from the edge.  What do you use?

I spoke too soon.  The method of changing the railing wall thickness to offset the porch post from the slab edge won't work.  The truss is no longer on top of the post and is not supported.  So I'm back to using the railing foundation (box checked) and setting the offset so that the post edge is 2" from the slab edge.  This involves changing my foundation dimensions and complicates the foundation.  Now the barn that was a 30X30 slab will now have an extra 2" concrete border around the porch (as well as the two house porches).  Does that seem right or is there another way to have the porch post support the truss but still have a 2" border from post to slab edge?