Adding shed roof to new addition to house

CJordanDesign

We are adding a one-story kitchen addition to the back of a house, I was thinking a sloped metal roof would look good but cannot figure how to create a different roof (or one that looks correct for this house!) on the kitchen addition jut out that looks correct.    Not reflected in the attached plan is that off of the kitchen addition we will be building a covered porch.   I have attached my file. Thanks for any assistance!  I've looked at some of the CA videos but keep missing the mark.

Cathy

Kitchen Remodel MaryWalter .plan.zip

Jason,

Thank you ---The bottom picture is what I am trying to achieve. Unfortunately we cannot change the upper window.  Can you tell me the process you used to create that roof on the one story addition?  I could not do it without changing the main roof.  Thanks.

Asphalt shingles are a no-go for a 2/12 pitch.  Metal panel roofing or membrane or torchdown is going to be needed.

Any window can be changed out for a shorter one.  Happens every day in remodeling.  Just be aware of egress for bedrooms.  A large DH that meets egress size minimum can be replaced with a smaller casement window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJordanDesign said:

I actually like the roof  on the one room addition --but it is not a shed roof and I'm not sure where I screwed up!

4 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Also make side walls Gable roof.

You can do that in the same Wall Spec dialog I showed above, or you can click the tool that appears on the Edit toolbar when a wall is selected, which toggles the wall's Roof Directive from gable to hip and back:

69615139_ScreenShot2023-06-26at3_28_21PM.thumb.png.559d8e66a768b41e64273ab4703bfac3.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

Asphalt shingles are a no-go for a 2/12 pitch.

2/12 is actually the lowest allowed pitch for shingles, but requires a double underlayment. Personally I wouldn't use shingles below a 3/12 but it is permissible, unless prohibited by local code.

• Like 1