Monitor

selectbuilder

Go to solution Solved by Michael_Gia,

Looking for some help on this. I have just purchased a HP monitor to run with my MacBook pro, I just do basic plan sheets and site plans. When I open up my plan on my computer it looks normal ,when I drag it over to the monitor its much darker and almost blurry. Now when I drag it back to the laptop its the same darker and blurry. This part is the most confusing for why does it change on my CPU? Amy help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds like you need to adjust the brightness on your new monitor. As for the difference in clarity between the laptop and the monitor, the first thing that comes to mind is the resolution of the image you're working with. You didn't state what type of file you are working with (jpg, pdf, plan...) but if the original is low resoution, it may look OK on a laptop sceen (15" - 17"??) as opposed to a larger monitor (24" - 31"???).

A little more information would be helpful.

1 hour ago, ericepv said:

Sounds like you need to adjust the brightness on your new monitor. As for the difference in clarity between the laptop and the monitor, the first thing that comes to mind is the resolution of the image you're working with. You didn't state what type of file you are working with (jpg, pdf, plan...) but if the original is low resoution, it may look OK on a laptop sceen (15" - 17"??) as opposed to a larger monitor (24" - 31"???).

A little more information would be helpful.

Thank you for the reply, Im just working on a plan set on my 16" and loading onto a 24" HP

Without seeing your system, the only things I can think of would be to adjust the settings on your monitor and also make sure your video card is running the most recent driver.

It would be helpful for anyone trying to give you advice if you were to complete your signature with your system specs (Signature edit is in the panel on the left side of your account settings page)

8 minutes ago, ericepv said:

Without seeing your system, the only things I can think of would be to adjust the settings on your monitor and also make sure your video card is running the most recent driver.

It would be helpful for anyone trying to give you advice if you were to complete your signature with your system specs (Signature edit is in the panel on the left side of your account settings page)

Ok thank you, I will update it when I can get to my desk. 

19 minutes ago, ericepv said:

Ok I updated. 

also here is the difference 

544BF2B9-B731-4685-97AD-5806E57A3124.jpeg

42253DEA-312C-4114-BD6C-C4AA87DEF6BD.jpeg

7 minutes ago, selectbuilder said:

Ok I updated. 

544BF2B9-B731-4685-97AD-5806E57A3124.jpeg

42253DEA-312C-4114-BD6C-C4AA87DEF6BD.jpeg

Which is which? It looks like a difference in monitor settings.

BTW - Your signature didn't update, did you save your changes?

24 minutes ago, selectbuilder said:

Ok I updated. 

As Eric said it's hard to tell which is which but it almost looks like Line Weights are turn on and much more noticeable on one than the other.

Also if you Mac has a Retina Display and your HP is a low Spec FHD monitor you may notice differences I'd think?  ( I am not a Mac User.)

so you might need to consider a return a for a better quality Monitor?   and perhaps larger eg 32" if you have the room?

M.

23 minutes ago, ericepv said:

Which is which? It looks like a difference in monitor settings.

BTW - Your signature didn't update, did you save your changes?

Yes I did update it, I did it on my phone so I’m not sure why it’s not there. 

the lighter photo is my MacBook and the darker one is the HP. It’s just a zoomed photo I had on me. Appreciate the help!

X13

Macbook pro 16”

M1pro

HP27h display 

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

As Eric said it's hard to tell which is which but it almost looks like Line Weights are turn on and much more noticeable on one than the other.

Also if you Mac has a Retina Display and your HP is a low Spec FHD monitor you may notice differences I'd think?  ( I am not a Mac User.)

so you might need to consider a return a for a better quality Monitor?   and perhaps larger eg 32" if you have the room?

M.

I was also wondering if I jumped on the cheaper version and that could be the issue. Yes on the retna display so the color is off. The odd part is when I drag it over it gets dark like that and when I pull it back it’s dark on my computer. 

My 1st guess would be that the Retina Display is a much higher Resolution ( close to 4k  ?) and also much "Brighter"  compared to the HP

which isn't necessarily a "bad" monitor, but being only a FHD Res. (1920 x 1080 )  you are noticing the differences  ( and may need to go

to a 4K monitor ) but I would do some Googling and further Research ( and watch you HP Return Date )

M. 

10 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

My 1st guess would be that the Retina Display is a much higher Resolution ( close to 4k  ?) and also much "Brighter"  compared to the HP

which isn't necessarily a "bad" monitor, but being only a FHD Res. (1920 x 1080 )  you are noticing the differences  ( and may need to go

to a 4K monitor ) but I would do some Googling and further Research ( and watch you HP Return Date )

M. 

It is super odd that when I drag out over and it gets all dark and fuzzy and then bring it back and its now that way. If I close down and open it back up it returns to what Im used to,

• Solution
22 hours ago, selectbuilder said:

I have just purchased a HP monitor to run with my MacBook pro

Ok, I went through this very painful and educational experience. 
Forget what everyone is telling you here.  

This is the deal with MacBooks and their retina displays when hooked up to an external monitor. 

It’s all about the ppi (pixels per inch, aka pixel density)

The ppi on your external monitor has to match your MacBook display or be half of that density. 

If it isn’t 1:1 or 2:1 then you’ll have “fuzzy” text, quite a bit of lag (even though you probably haven’t noticed that yet, but it’s there)

It has to do with how hard your processors have to work to translate the image onto your external monitor. 
This translation happens at 60Hz. That’s a hell of a lot of calculations even for a super duper MacBook.

I actually had to downgrade my external monitor from a 4K monitor to a 2K monitor (QHD or 1440p) in order for the image to be as sharp as on the retina and with no lag. Or at least I experienced and increase in “snappiness”. You’ll see. 

I don’t recommend going with a 4K monitor.

Pixel density is dependant on screen size. There’s a formula for that. 

For example, I went with 2560 x 1440 for a 27” monitor which works out to 109 ppi and my 16” Macbook is 5120 x 2880 which works out to 218ppi, which is roughly twice the external monitor’s density. Which is an easy translation process for the CPU’s. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Ok, I went through this very painful and educational experience. 
Forget what everyone is telling you here.  

This is the deal with MacBooks and their retina displays when hooked up to an external monitor. 

It’s all about the ppi (pixels per inch, aka pixel density)

The ppi on your external monitor has to match your MacBook display or be half of that density. 

If it isn’t 1:1 or 2:1 then you’ll have “fuzzy” text, quite a bit of lag (even though you probably haven’t noticed that yet, but it’s there)

It has to do with how hard your processors have to work to translate the image onto your external monitor. 
This translation happens at 60Hz. That’s a hell of a lot of calculations even for a super duper MacBook.

I actually had to downgrade my external monitor from a 4K monitor to a 2K monitor (QHD or 1440p) in order for the image to be as sharp as on the retina and with no lag. Or at least I experienced and increase in “snappiness”. You’ll see. 

I don’t recommend going with a 4K monitor.

Pixel density is dependant on screen size. There’s a formula for that. 

For example, I went with 2560 x 1440 for a 27” monitor which works out to 109 ppi and my 16” Macbook is 5120 x 2880 which works out to 218ppi, which is roughly twice the external monitor’s density. Which is an easy translation process for the CPU’s. 

Hope that helps. 

Hey Michael, that is super helpful! The fuzz is a brain melter!! It’s really hard to explain and it’s not really a color thing as it is that part. Thanks!!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

I don’t recommend going with a 4K monitor

It would depend on the MacBook Pro and assuming I had the model correct ?  4K @32" is about as close as you can get .............. but it's also why I said to do some research and check Sites like this one.....https://www.displayninja.com/what-is-pixel-density/

image.thumb.png.3438a54fefaa9dd4b7afd5d877cbd341.png

M.

• Upvote 1