Patterns and textures

marlem2000

Hi, everybody!:)

I usually have problems creating my own tiles and other stuff related to textures. In this case, I'd like making a tile background with a jpg. I just load this one as a material and try to apply a pattern to it. When I check the result in the standard view I can't see the tiles and, in the vector view, it seems there are there. I'm a bit lost with all of this. What I am doing wrong?:unsure:

Many thanks in advance! :D

standard.jpg

vector.jpg

2.JPG

Assuming your .jpg does not include a repeating pattern you will need to set your Pattern scale ( that controls vector views ) the same as your Texture scale ( that controls standard views ).

So it appears that your example might be something like 1200 mm x 1200 mm and your current Pattern setting is approximately 600 mm x 600 mm and you don't seem to have any visible sizing scale in your Texture.  That may also be due to a lack of any thing that resembles a grout line in the border of your .jpg so that my require some photo shop work.  Or perhaps it would be ok to just use "Stretch to Fit" since the grout line is quite fine anyway.

If that does not work maybe post your original .jpg and one of the material gurus may spot the problem or be able to help.

On 6/11/2023 at 8:14 AM, marlem2000 said:

I just load this one as a material and try to apply a pattern to it.

Marlem, keep in mind that applying a pattern has no effect on the texture image. To create a tiled texture from that image, you will need to do some editing  / creation using a different software.

You can actually create a tiled texture in Chief as well using solids and a specific camera view! I would only recommend this for users who have no knowledge or experience with any other method and then they may require some additional advice.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Marlem, keep in mind that applying a pattern has no effect on the texture image. To create a tiled texture from that image, you will need to do some editing  / creation using a different software.

Many thanks for all the help Chopsaw,Mick and robdyck.:) I though that applying textures to an image would work. I'm used to Photoshop. In fact, I build most of my tile textures with it. Sometimes they don't look as I wish cos, after all, they are just images. This is the reason why I though patterns would help. 

What I usually do is to download a tile picture from the net and make my own "wall texture" with Photoshop. Then, I just try to make it fit to the surface I have adjusting its size.

Captura.JPG

8 minutes ago, marlem2000 said:

Many thanks for all the help Chopsaw,Mick and robdyck.:) I though that applying textures to an image would work. I'm used to Photoshop. In fact, I build most of my tile textures with it. Sometimes they don't look as I wish cos, after all, they are just images. This is the reason why I though patterns would help. 

What I usually do is to download a tile picture from the net and make my own "wall texture" with Photoshop. Then, I just try to make it fit to the surface I have adjusting its size.

What you show should work, whether done in Paint or PS , my only suggestion would be to "randomize" the Tiles ie flip the image vertically and horizontally and rotate 90 and 180° etc , so you don't have a repeating pattern with the dark veining in your example above, the "repeat" will look bad in Chief. ( Hopefully the Tiler would not lay them like that either)

doing you own is also the only way to show a particular grout color if that is important , as it must be part of the Texture used.

M.

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

my only suggestion would be to "randomize" the Tiles ie flip the image vertically and horizontally and rotate 90 and 180° etc , so you don't have a repeating pattern with the dark veining in your example above, the "repeat" will look bad in Chief. ( Hopefully the Tiler would not lay them like that either)

Hi, Mick!  Yes, I usually make that trick in Photoshop to build my tiles. Anyway, I must confess it's really difficult to get a "real" texture effect. I normally use Photoshop and jcpicker to pick up colors from realistic pictures but little details are hard to make and that's the key. 
For me, the most important parts of a bedroom are walls, floor and roof (well, the ceiling in the roof. I don't know the name in English). Textures here are 90% of the work. The better they look, the better the set shows.

39 minutes ago, marlem2000 said:

Hi, Mick!  Yes, I usually make that trick in Photoshop to build my tiles. Anyway, I must confess it's really difficult to get a "real" texture effect. I normally use Photoshop and jcpicker to pick up colors from realistic pictures but little details are hard to make and that's the key. 
For me, the most important parts of a bedroom are walls, floor and roof (well, the ceiling in the roof. I don't know the name in English). Textures here are 90% of the work. The better they look, the better the set shows.

Have you looked at Chief Substance Player Tile and Wood Builders? 

• Upvote 1

On 6/13/2023 at 9:01 PM, robdyck said:

This is a good page to make a simple tile. It's a pity that most of the options are pro but I have made some tries and the result is great. Many thanks!:D

On 6/13/2023 at 9:34 PM, Kbird1 said:

Have you looked at Chief Substance Player Tile and Wood Builders? 

These programmes are a bit more complicated. I'm still trying them and I think I'll get something cool when I get used. I usually download textures in jpg (just pictures) and use them as materials. The result is not the best but something is something.:unsure: