Shadowboards..... Am I Dumb Or Is This Thing Not Working?

dshall

Please open the  plan.  I have two shadow boards on the roof eaves.

See if you can manipulate each shadow board separately.  It seems as if I can do a horizontal offset for shadow board 1,  and then when I try shadow board 2 horizontal offset,  it is shadow board 1 moving and not shadow board 2.  Try offsetting each shadow board away from the wall and towards the wall.  

At one time I could do this in X6,  and now I can not do this in x7

BBB SHADOWBOARDS 1.plan.zip

Scott, both shadow boards are set to 1.5" in depth, one is set to 18 tall and the other is set to 24 " tall, so they are merely occupying the same space relative to their depths, at least that is what I see. When I vary the depths then I can see both shadow boards.

Admittedly, I rarely use shadow boards so my observations may be off some. 

DJP

Scott, both shadow boards are set to 1.5" in depth, one is set to 18 tall and the other is set to 24 " tall, so they are merely occupying the same space relative to their depths, at least that is what I see. When I vary the depths then I can see both shadow boards.

Admittedly, I rarely use shadow boards so my observations may be off some. 

DJP

I disagree,  they do not occupy the same space.  Put a different material on each shadow board and change the 24" shadow board to 8" hi,  you will then see the difference.

I also have an offset for the shadow boards,  did you notice the offset?  Since there is an offset,  they should not be occupying the same space.

I am able to move them independently, but i dragged the overhang out to 36". I did see them both move at one point. That happened when I tried  to offset them a distance greater than the overhang. There is an interaction with the overhang amount. I think your issue is that Molding1 is set to offset 5 1/4 inches when your overhang is only 4".

Also it seems we are not able to offset the shadow boards beyond the extent of the roof overhang.

It behaves a bit odd to me. I looked at the little bay window on one of the short sides, and changed one of the shadow boards to being 3" wide and the other to a 1/4" just to easily separate them and see what was going on. They certainly didn't move the way I expected when I changed the offset.

Is there a way to upload an image without having to go through the whole mymedia exercise? It doesn't seem to work with copy/paste.

......I think your issue is that Molding1 is set to offset 5 1/4 inches when your overhang is only 4".

This was not very intuitive for me.  Instead of the offsets being measured from the fascia,  they are actually measured from the defined eave overhang.

Never had a problem before,  I suppose I was attacking is from a different perspective this time which confused me.  Thanks again,  Kevin.

This is the way it seems to work for me. If your shadow board is 2" thick and you set hor. offset to 0" it will then make room for the 2" inwards. Roof plane is the same size. If you add a second 1/2" board at 0 offset it will overlap at the inner edge.

If you instead give the new board an offset of 2", it will leapfrog that first board and push it in by 1/2" now making the stacked set 2 1/2". Makes sense? I should have made a video.

Isn't using the sub-fascia and the fascia the same thing, In that case you don't need shadow boards. if you need a built up fascia then yes.

I should do a vid on this to explore the advantages and disadvantages of using the sub fascia and fascia as shadow boards.  I don't remember why,  but I am almost to the point where I would almost zero out the fascia boards and rely on the shadow boards for fascia.....  there is a reason....  I  just have to remember why...