Roof framing problems

Larry_Sweeney

I've been trying to model this as-built before I start a huge remodel on it and I'm having all kinds of issues with getting CA to model the roof framing as shown on the original prints. Cross Section 9 attachment shows how CA ended up framing it with the needed corrections pointed out in red. To the left of the actual framing is a CAD layout of how it should be as shown on the original prints. The next attachment shows how CA did the exterior. In the third attachment I show the areas on the exterior that need to be corrected with a picture of the area on the original house.  I don't know if CA can frame this correctly, but it should. I've worked every scenario I can think of, but I'm starting to lose hair that I can't afford to lose. :( I'm nowhere near finished with modeling this as-built, but I sure would like to get a handle on this roof framing before I go any further. If someone could help me figure out how to model correctly my problem it will definitely be appreciated. It shouldn't be that difficult. I'm sending along a .zip file of what I have so far with "Backup Plan Files Only" because otherwise the file would be to large, so I'm hoping that will work for anyone willing to look at this. I'm anxious to see the work around to deal with this though I have mixed feelings.  If it's something simple I'm going to be very angry with myself, but to be sure I'll also be extremely appreciative to whoever's time, knowledge and effort that it takes to help me out.

CROSS SECTION 10.jpg

CROSS SECTION 10 original.jpg

CROSS SECTION 9.jpg

BUZZINI AS BUILT 1.zip

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Are the dormers actually supposed to be separate roof planes? They are very close to the same elevation as the main roof plane.

image.thumb.png.1baa9a78aad5764a4f82162e75403512.png

Robert...............They are suppose to be on the same plane but there overhangs are different than the larger 5/12 pitch roof. The reason they are showing to be on a little different is because I've been playing around with the roof height in the process of trying to figure out the framing problem.

Robert...............Do you see any way to get the 36/12 rafter to frame up to the ceiling joist like I show with the CAD drawing? I did send this into support to see what they suggest. It shouldn't be this complicated. If CA would let us have better manual control of the shape of the rafter ends "things" would be much easier. Yes, it would take a lot of time, but at least we could then do the "odd things" that are sometimes run into on modeling as-builts. I've been associated with the home building/home design industry since 1972 and I've seen this type of roof/knee wall setup before a few times. I don't think I would design one quite like this, but since it's an as-built I'm trying to get it modeled how it is before I start designing the "remodel".

2 hours ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Do you see any way to get the 36/12 rafter to frame up to the ceiling joist like I show with the CAD drawing?

No I don't, I think you'd need to use a 3d solid for that.

Robert...............I appreciate you taking your time and knowledge in helping me work this "problem" out. I don't know what the answer is as far as CA is concerned. It shouldn't be this difficult. I guess the answer is more/better manual control of framing members.............especially rafters. I sent this into support. If there answer is "ground breaking", I'll put it on this thread. Thank you and have a great day.

I didn't have a lot of time to spare but I did have a play round which resulted in an approach that solves some of your problems.

To make it a bit easier on myself, I only build the roofs over the main 2 storey part of the building in this simple plan.

This method may be worth a look:

What I did was to let Chief auto build the roof using Ignore Top (2nd) Floor and Upper Pitch options.

Basically an auto Gambrel roof ignoring the upper floor.

I think whatever way you go, you are going to spend a lot of time to get it all as you want.

908333666_Screenshot2023-06-06at9_29_52am.thumb.jpg.02cef2d69be6ef2193aae85ced78f0af.jpg

Glenn...........I think at one point along the way of my "trials & errors" I got those same results, but when I tried to extend the top 5/12 roof so it would have an eave fascia board the "crap hit the fan". Thanks for taking the time to look at my dilemma.