Line Weights

RCarter

printed line weights have to also be adjusted for printer DPI output. This has been the case since CAD started (program irrelevant) when I first started with cad we were lucky if we had a printer that had a better DPI than 180, now I tend to print at 600 or even 1200 using a laser. Therefore the printed linewight in CA is lineweight x print scale (in sheet setup) x drawing scale x DPI. This IMHO is where a lot of confusion reigns.

printed line weights have to also be adjusted for printer DPI output. This has been the case since CAD started (program irrelevant) when I first started with cad we were lucky if we had a printer that had a better DPI than 180, now I tend to print at 600 or even 1200 using a laser. Therefore the printed linewight in CA is lineweight x print scale (in sheet setup) x drawing scale x DPI. This IMHO is where a lot of confusion reigns.

Well,  I wish I could follow this,  I wish I could follow my own post,  I am sure you know how it works,  but I am not sure if what you said or what I said actually helps anybody understand why we use different line weights......  The Great Glenn Woodward could probably explain this......

The point being,  what settings would we change to have super thick lines or super thin lines that are not dependent on the layer line weight.....  well,  I think I just confused everybody....  sorry Graeme,  I am trying to get to the bottom of what controls the line weights......  OTHER THZN THE LAYER.

I am trying to get to the bottom of what controls the line weights......  OTHER THZN THE LAYER.

The bottom line that controls overall line weights is Print...Drawing Sheet Setup...Advanced Line Weight Options.

Changing this setting will effect every line weight in the plan.

This setting is a default and as such is saved with the plan.

The default setting of 1=1/100mm equates the line weights to the old Rotring pen sizes (you youguns wouldn't know anything about that).

So that a line weight of 35 equates to a line weight of .35mm

After that, you can specify line weights by layer, OR by object through the Line Options of the object's dbx, but the relative line weights are all controlled by the Advanced Line Weight Options.

The default setting of 1=1/100mm equates the line weights to the old Rotring pen sizes (you youguns wouldn't know anything about that).

So that a line weight of 35 equates to a line weight of .35mm

Thanks,  good explanation.