Exterior Cladding will not update or change

Regandoc

I have been working on this plan and it was all working fine for the longest time, But after i did something it changed some of my cladding back to default and will not allow me to change them at all. i have tried deleting the wall and rebuilding it and still it stays the default exterior product. I have tried material dropper and painting it, going in and changing the layer property's nothing is working.. any suggestions?

Front1.bmp

Yeah, my guess is that this is one of those wall vs. room fights over materials.  You probably changed the exterior room material and it is overriding whatever the wall thinks the material will be.  Try selecting the "exterior room" by clicking just outside one of the exterior walls (you might need to use "next" to actually get it), and then setting the material back to "use default".  Then you might need to select the wall and check to see what material is being used on the exterior surface and maybe set it back to "use default".  

I think the rule is that if the room has a material assigned, the program will show that.  If the room material is set to "use default" then it shows the wall material if it has a material assigned.  And if the wall is set to "use default", then it will use the wall type.  Simple, right?

If none of this helps you solve your problem, then you will probably need to post the plan.

12 hours ago, Regandoc said:

any suggestions?

Yes, Never use the Paint Can tool on Exterior Walls :)    you need to force the Materials back to "DEFAULT" , probably in the Default exterior Wall too....

this Post should help get you started....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/31850-paint-can-tool-material-painter-best-practices/?tab=comments#comment-250698

Oh, I see Chief has their own KB Article on this now too.....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00586/restoring-wall-materials-changed-using-the-material-painter.html

Mick.

I have your plan open in X15.  Looks as if you created no new wall types for any of your desired exterior finish variants.  You used the paint tool, which is bad practice.

Very bad practice.  You ended up down the rabbit hole.

In your plan, create a new exterior wall type for each separate desired wall finish.  One for lap siding, one for stone cladding, one for the board and batten, and if more, one for each.  If you have garage walls framed with 2x4, you'll need a wall def for each desired clad type.

Now go into your plan materials and purge all unused materials, then go through the list and examine how each is defined.  You have created materials that have differing textures but have the same name.

Finally, go to your model in 3D overview, select exterior walls, and change their wall types to one of the new wall types you created.

• Upvote 1

@GeneDavis THANKS! this works. its a lot of work lol, but i see what your saying about the different wall type and materials. This is the first plan i have created with this software so it will take some time learning all the proper ways to do thing. i appreciate you taking the time to assist me.

47 minutes ago, Regandoc said:

@GeneDavis THANKS! this works. its a lot of work lol, but i see what your saying about the different wall type and materials. This is the first plan i have created with this software so it will take some time learning all the proper ways to do thing. i appreciate you taking the time to assist me.

Make sure you also take a look at the Best Practices for the Paint Can Tool links above if you didn't already, for future Projects....

M.

• Upvote 1