Drawer Depth

RobUSMC

I think the only way to do that is to use a library symbol for the drawer box.  When you click on the drawer in the cabinet dialog, you can use the "specify" button to pick a library drawer box.  I think there are some manufacturer ones available but it is pretty easy to make your own.

You can replace the drawer with a drawer symbol as @DBCooper suggests.  You can find some in the Rev-A-Shelf library, resize it; export it as a symbol – choose the category ‘millwork’.  This will add the item back into your catalog.  From there you can swap it out as the drawer box.   Here’s a closet video on that process 

Convert_To_Symbol.png

• Upvote 1

It looks like there are also some drawer boxes in the "cabinet specialty storage" catalog that would work.

@scottharris is there some advantage of exporting/importing the symbols?  All I did was copy it to my user catalog and then resized it there and it seemed to work just fine.  Although I did notice that the box joints didn't stretch the way I would have wanted but I am guessing that could be improved by tweaking the stretch planes (or maybe just removing them entirely).  I am guessing that the dove-tailed joints would have a similar problem.

Thanks for the help.  What Im trying to show is a custom top loading cookie sheet tray pullout we custom build. (See pics of one of ours)  Basicly a deep drawer with dividers.  I took a cabinet storage box and added 3d solids as dividers and saved it as a symbol but it does not show show in the library as an option to use.  Probably doing it wrong as I'm new trying to create symbols. Our sides and dividers have curved scoops but that even more of a challenge.

Tray Pullout 2.png

Tray Pullout 1.png

Tray Pullout 3.png

21 hours ago, DBCooper said:

It looks like there are also some drawer boxes in the "cabinet specialty storage" catalog that would work.

@scottharris is there some advantage of exporting/importing the symbols?  All I did was copy it to my user catalog and then resized it there and it seemed to work just fine.  Although I did notice that the box joints didn't stretch the way I would have wanted but I am guessing that could be improved by tweaking the stretch planes (or maybe just removing them entirely).  I am guessing that the dove-tailed joints would have a similar problem.

There is no advantage to the method I used above IF you are using an existing Library item.  If you are creating your own, say with solids, then you would want to use that approach as I did below on the drawer divider box.

To create the divider drawer box, create it using solids; or, place a drawer box from the Library ("cabinet specialty storage" / Rev-A-Shelf library), use the solid tool / partition tool, convert that grouping to a millwork symbol – and you should have what you need. 

drawer box.png

I like the drawerbox with tray dividers for storage.  Using Sketchup, I made one that is right-sized for an 18" width frameless base cabinet.  Here it is.  Import it as millwork and you can get the result shown in the pic.  1/2" side clearance, made with 5/8 sides and the dividers are 1/4" with a top scoop CNC cut.

Edit:  Here is a pic of the way I've been doing tray division.  We do cabs using an app in which we "build" them in 3D and the file output drives the CNC machine that cuts and labels all the component parts.  The dividers are cut from 1/4" baltic birch ply and fit to the carcase parts with blind tenons.  It is less expensive a build than doing it as a d'box, but with the d'box you get the convenience of pulling the set out for somewhat easier access.  Save the cost of a d'box, and a pair of hinges is less than a pair of Tandem Blumotion slides.

Screenshot 2023-04-13 101553.png

Tray divider drawer 18.skp

Screenshot 2023-04-13 102653.png