Fireplace Flame Image - Not visible in PBR

Ange822

Go to solution Solved by DeLayDesign,

Having issues with the Fireplace Flame Image not showing in PBR view, but shows in Standard view. 

Images attached of Standard vs PBR view. The image layer is turned on for both. Thanks in advance! 

Standard:

GR Standard - Flame showing.jpg

Physically Based:

Great Room 1.2 - March 24 2023.jpg

7 minutes ago, Ange822 said:

Having issues with the Fireplace Flame Image not showing in PBR view, but shows in Standard view. 

Images attached of Standard vs PBR view. The image layer is turned on for both. Thanks in advance! 

Standard:

GR Standard - Flame showing.jpg

Physically Based:

Great Room 1.2 - March 24 2023.jpg

How is the fireplace flame "image" applied, or to what is it applied?  Is it a picture or is it a texture?

18 hours ago, rgardner said:

How is the fireplace flame "image" applied, or to what is it applied?  Is it a picture or is it a texture?

Good morning Ryan - It is an Image from the Bonus Catalogue Fireplaces No.1, I guess maybe because it's only a 2D Image?

Screenshot 2023-04-04 093049.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-04 093141.jpg

Angela, those fire images are materials and have a transparency that do not show up in PBR views.  I will typically put a thin 3D solid where the fire is located and paint it with the fire image material – like below.  For a large fireplace like this one, I may use several 3D solids to make sure I have a good distribution of the fire.  I’ll post both the vector and PBR to illustrate.

Living-Elevation.jpg

Living.jpg

15 hours ago, scottharris said:

Angela, those fire images are materials and have a transparency that do not show up in PBR views.  I will typically put a thin 3D solid where the fire is located and paint it with the fire image material – like below.  For a large fireplace like this one, I may use several 3D solids to make sure I have a good distribution of the fire.  I’ll post both the vector and PBR to illustrate.

Living-Elevation.jpg

Living.jpg

Thank you for your response - I played around, and realized that it does in fact work, however it is the piece of glass Infront of the flame that isn't translucent enough to show the flame behind it? Any suggestions on this? I ended up just removing the piece of glass for now. I tried playing with the properties of the glass but was unsuccessful. See attached imaged both in "physically based camera", I zoomed into the fireplace so you can see Infront / behind the piece of glass. Second image is the piece of glass removed completely.

PBR view - With Glass

Screenshot 2023-04-05 142503.jpg

PBR Views - Without Glass

Screenshot 2023-04-05 142605.jpg

• Solution

Hey @Ange822

This is an issue with PBR's refractions.  I run into it all the time when I try to do a PBR on a room and have used 2D plants on the exterior.  They won't show up through the glass.  It's an issue @ChiefArchitecthas been asked about (at least from me); so I'm hoping for a solution soon.  If you turn off 'refractions' in your PBR settings I'm sure it'll come through, but it won't look as 'nice and realistic' 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DeLayDesign said:

Hey @Ange822

This is an issue with PBR's refractions.  I run into it all the time when I try to do a PBR on a room and have used 2D plants on the exterior.  They won't show up through the glass.  It's an issue @ChiefArchitecthas been asked about (at least from me); so I'm hoping for a solution soon.  If you turn off 'refractions' in your PBR settings I'm sure it'll come through, but it won't look as 'nice and realistic' 

Thank you very much for your response! That fix would be amazing @ChiefArchitect! Thank you that did the trick!

I see what you mean about the plants not showing correctly, I have shown with / without refractions on, but the trees I use are 3D not 2D? 

Refractions ON (trees show trunks / branches)

715711589_Master2-March242023.thumb.jpg.7071733d8de2c30159e8c78ebfba2e19.jpg

Refractions OFF (trees show the leaves realistically)

2004923406_Master1-March242023-Refractionoff.thumb.jpg.f141621c3a4378134570f3d082b899a7.jpg

Refractions OFF (Flame visible behind the Glass!!)

1980742137_GreatRoom-April52023-Fireshowing.thumb.jpg.73a0d58d50b52f01eebe7715b5413328.jpg

thank you!!