Way to rotate a group of lines and keep their angles in relation to one another. (Building envelope) X-15

someguy

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

Hello new chief use here,

I am having trouble rotating a group of lines and keeping there angles in relation to another. I have a building envelope that has non perpendicular lines and I want to rotate them so one line is parallel to my house and I can know if it fits on the lot. It seems I can only do one line at a time and it loses the angles. my other program has an align command that I can easily use to accomplish this.

I get the subdivision cad files from the surveyor and I use them to fit the houses. Seems like a waste to have to use another program to do this then import them to Chief but if its the only way then so be it.

Thanks,

Rocky 

• someguy changed the title to Way to rotate a group of lines and keep their angles in relation to one another. (Building envelope) X-15

If I am following along correctly you should have a polyline so if you select the whole thing you can then double click the Make Parallel/Perpendicular tool and it will bring up a dialogue that allows you to "Rotate the entire Polyline"  but then if you are using the north arrow you may need to use Jasons method to keep everything in sync by selecting the arrow as well and rotating all.

I assume you want them all rotated the same amount

sometime i will click on the line that I want to be at some angle, and click on transform replicate, click on rotate->absolute angle, and then record the angle it is currently at, and the subtract that from whatever angle you want it to be, and then group select all the lines, go back into transform replicate, and then rotate that "relative" amount..

so if that 80.22 line is at 285 deg and you want it at 270(vertical), then the difference is 15. so group select all the lines and rotate them relative -15 deg (negative is clockwise). they will all move -15 deg, and your 80.22 line will be vertical

46 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

I assume you want them all rotated the same amount

sometime i will click on the line that I want to be at some angle, and click on transform replicate, click on rotate->absolute angle, and then record the angle it is currently at, and the subtract that from whatever angle you want it to be, and then group select all the lines, go back into transform replicate, and then rotate that "relative" amount..

so if that 80.22 line is at 285 deg and you want it at 270(vertical), then the difference is 15. so group select all the lines and rotate them relative -15 deg (negative is clockwise). they will all move -15 deg, and your 80.22 line will be vertical

Yeah seems like this would be the only way to do what I want. Seems odd a simple rotate command can’t use make parallel/ perpendicular if I select more than 1 object. Unless I’m using the command wrong. 

thanks for all the help.

the other way you can do it which is not as accurate is to group select them, then hold the control key down while you rotate the group with the mouse. I do this a lot for pictures of site plans. I draw a horizontal line then try and align the plot line in the picture to line up to the horizontal line i just drew. but even then I will typically still adjust in the Tranform replicate 0.1 deg one way or the other to get it close to perfect as I will then draw setback dimensions from it

• Solution

There are probably several ways to do what you want.

I suspect that the Make Parallel tool may not be the most appropriate one in this case.

Try this one using a dimension.

Draw an Angular Dimension so that it results in an angle between a vertical reference line and the controlling side of your polyline.

Group select the objects you want to rotate.

Click on the angular dimension text and a Set Angular Dimension dbx will open.

Enter zero.

All your objects will rotate the desired amount.

1665018069_Screenshot2023-03-11at6_41_49pm.thumb.jpg.0fc36d9095e26c8e82e0e6285552a24f.jpg

506220216_Screenshot2023-03-11at6_42_20pm.thumb.jpg.4f39d6c23b6966c9689715aad0808877.jpg

1882888855_Screenshot2023-03-11at6_43_21pm.thumb.jpg.031e43c76216aa7bfde7d97f31b17aba.jpg

1430874726_Screenshot2023-03-11at6_43_45pm.thumb.jpg.182f5ce2ee9da78d71f3ceb81e7a0d12.jpg

1966569601_Screenshot2023-03-11at6_44_07pm.thumb.jpg.529b64391799f2d275592168c74ba864.jpg

Or...even simpler, you can set the Additional Angles to the rotation angle you want, group select the objects, and use the rotation grip to rotate all the objects to the Angle Snaps value. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1