Wall framing issues with raised heel roof trusses

tundra_dweller

Go to solution Solved by SHCanada2,

• Solution
19 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I have yet to see any solid evidence of this and believe it to be a simple bug/program limitation

I believe the limitation is restricted to heel heights  below a certain VSD and/or related to pitch. If I take the above plan and build the roof with "raises from ceiling height"  24" above ceiling, it works, but 12" does not. 

image.thumb.png.3b30d22136a849ca5beb0942df0935f4.png

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2023 at 3:37 PM, SHCanada2 said:

I believe the limitation is restricted to heel heights  below a certain VSD and/or related to pitch. If I take the above plan and build the roof with "raises from ceiling height"  24" above ceiling, it works, but 12" does not. 

Strangely enough, this seems to be the key right here. I just started a new project with raised heel scissor trusses and decided I'd try setting the roof envelope up for 14" truss heels. No issues with the wall framing, it behaved just as I would expect it to! Whether I pulled the ceiling plane out to the exterior of the wall framing or left it at the interior made no difference, it worked either way.

So then I figured I'd try and back the roof envelope down to a 12" raised heel and bang, my wall framing shot up to the roof baseline. And doing that really seemed to mess with the software, because after that the formula of "Desired Heel Height - Vertical Structure Depth = Raise Off Plate" amount no longer produced the roof baseline where you'd expect it to be. The wall framing would behave like it's supposed to once the heel height changes from 12", but the math no longer worked for the heel height. Eventually I got the heel height back to within 1/16" of 14" by zeroing the ROP out and starting over.

So yeah, something weird going on with the software with regards to 12" heel heights with sloped ceilings, but knowing this is going to save me a lot of frustration going forward. Should probably be using 14-16" energy heels anyway.

8 hours ago, tundra_dweller said:

They recommend framing the walls with a flat ceiling, selecting "Retain Wall Framing", unchecking "Flat Ceiling Over Room", then build your trusses.

I think the method posted earlier by @robdyckwas a better solution for many (if not most) situations...

• tundra_dweller changed the title to Wall framing issues with raised heel roof trusses