RTX 2000 series real time ray-tracing, curious to know if anyone is using this

amddrafting

I have an old desktop machine that has a motherboard capped at PCIe 3.0 which limits the ability on my video card upgrades.  I can, however, max out at 128GB for memory if I wanted.  It has a decent PCU and plenty of storage.  It's been a work horse from when I first opened my company 7 years ago.  This one has just been sitting around doing nothing, so I was wondering if anyone has the RTX 2080 cards and has any luck using them with RTR?  Even if it's just for an intern to learn on... just squeeze a little bit more out of this for another year or so.

Feedback is appreciated, but honestly I just want to know the opinions on the 2080 cards

• amddrafting changed the title to RTX 2000 series real time ray-tracing, curious to know if anyone is using this
2 hours ago, amddrafting said:

Feedback is appreciated, but honestly I just want to know the opinions on the 2080 cards

My Laptop has the 2070 and it works just fine with the usual caveats of bad Drivers , ie those above 526.98 currently, and I know MarkMc has the same in his, so he may have a few comments too.   @MarkMc

Is it slower than my 3080Ti  (see sig) in the desktop , yes, by at least 25-40% but realistically how much PBR-RTRT does anyone do everyday?

In the everyday skut work, especially that of an Intern, I don't think it would matter, and If you need renders faster another User like yourself

could open the plan and do them.

You don't say if you have a 2000 series card or can get one cheap or ???  but all PCIe4 cards are compatible with PCIe3 too AFAIAA, so picking up a 3070Ti as one example should be just fine , it should outlast the current PC and be moved to the next system most likely , just mentioning is I am starting to see , at leat at retail, 2000 series cards going for prices similar to some 3000 series cards....the thing to check is the physical size of the Cards as ssome are huge and may not fit in Pre-built Case like those Dell, Hp etc sell.

M.

Super helpful!  Thank you!  I didn't realize the PCIe4 was backwards compatible.  I guess I could always go that route and bring it into a new system down the road.  I figured I'd pick up a a refurbished 2080 for about $400 and see how it works.  Best case scenario I have it for awhile, worst case it craps out and I just buy a new card or new system.  

1 hour ago, amddrafting said:

I figured I'd pick up a a refurbished 2080 for about $400 and see how it works.

EVGA is still selling 2060's for $259 , which is pretty cheap as an entry price......

https://www.evga.com/products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+20+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+2060

Or this 3060 for a $100 more

https://www.evga.com/products/ProductList.aspx?type=8

M.