Set insertion point of electrical fixture?

plannedRITE

Is there a way to change the insertion point of a custom electrical fixture? I assume this issue applies to other symbols/fixtures as well.

The example that I'm working with here is a regular recessed can that has a waterproof label on it. I'd like the insertion point to be centered to the can light and not the center of the full 2D block. It doesn't matter if I set the insertion point of the 2D block because as soon as it is assigned to the 3D object it ignores it.

This quick picture for reference shows a regular light first, then the light with the assigned 2D block, then the bare 2D block properly using the insertion point. 

I hope there's a way to do this! It's obviously not the end of the world but it's driving me crazy anyways.

image.thumb.png.d1e0a312dab40f0ac599a5cd10c1cde6.png

22 minutes ago, solver said:

Did you not find anything in your search results? 

No I did not, or I would not have posted. Placing an insertion point into a CAD block is obviously simple but it seems to not retain that point once assigned to a 3d object.

3 minutes ago, plannedRITE said:

No I did not, or I would not have posted. Placing an insertion point into a CAD block is obviously simple but it seems to not retain that point once assigned to a 3d object.

This is correct. Once a CAD block has been assigned to a 3D object, the insertion point data is reset to the center of the CAD block and there isn't a way to assign a different one. That's a great feature request for our Suggestion forum.

• Upvote 1

My only suggestion might not be what you want. Keep the 'R' and create a noticeably different circular symbol. Then, allow a legend or schedule to define and differentiate those symbols. Otherwise, enlarge the symbol and adjust the text to the center.

image.thumb.png.cd3cb19e344707afb6791a99e539001a.png

21 minutes ago, robdyck said:

My only suggestion might not be what you want. Keep the 'R' and create a noticeably different circular symbol. Then, allow a legend or schedule to define and differentiate those symbols. Otherwise, enlarge the symbol and adjust the text to the center.

image.thumb.png.cd3cb19e344707afb6791a99e539001a.png

That was going to be my last resort but it looks like it's come to that. Thanks for the input!

copy/paste reflect about circle and replace text with a character space

That's a clever trick.  I tried creating a circle/box around the light and the text to control the center and then changing the line style to invisible but this doesn't work because the electrical object always overrides the line styles in the cad block . 

The other thing you could do though is completely remove the text from the cad block and then just use the electrical label instead.  You would probably need to do this for all electrical objects though and that might be a bit of work to setup.

What we really need is to control the insertion point like we can for normal cad blocks.

• Like 2