Help: Custom Sink with round corners cutting square hole

3dRenderAnu

Go to solution Solved by TeaTime,

• 3dRenderAnu changed the title to Help: Custom Sink with round corners cutting square hole

You will need to edit the CAD in the CAD block file that creates the hole.  Place the sink on the floor outside a cabinet.  Open its symbol and look for its assigned CAD block, then find the block in your project library and open it for editing.  One of the polylines at the perimeter is ID'd as "hole in countertop."  That is the one to edit with corner fillets.

When edited, save it and then assign it to the sink.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Where did you get the "custom" sink symbol?  It is the symbol maker that made the error, and he or she should correct if for you.

Except if it was a freebie.

I created it myself and imported it into chief premiere x14.  I do not understand how to do most of the thing's U suggested your first post.  can you more specific or send a link that shows how to do the things you suggest.  should I explode the block, or should I use the cad block manager??

Find the 2D CAD block in the symbol dialog.  Note its name.

Go CAD>CAD block management and scroll to find the block.  Highlight it and open for edit.

Select one of the perimeter CAD polylines.  Open for spec.  Find the one with the cuts hole in countertop spec.  Looks like in yours it will be the outside perimeter with the square corners.  Edit it to have fillet corners.  If it is a topmount sink, edit it concentrically to be just smaller than the sink object perimeter.

Save your edited CAD block with a new name.  Then go to the symbol and associate this new CAD block with your sink symbol.

It's harder to type out all these words than to just do it.

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

Find the 2D CAD block in the symbol dialog.  Note its name.

Go CAD>CAD block management and scroll to find the block.  Highlight it and open for edit.

Select one of the perimeter CAD polylines.  Open for spec.  Find the one with the cuts hole in countertop spec.  Looks like in yours it will be the outside perimeter with the square corners.  Edit it to have fillet corners.  If it is a topmount sink, edit it concentrically to be just smaller than the sink object perimeter.

Save your edited CAD block with a new name.  Then go to the symbol and associate this new CAD block with your sink symbol.

It's harder to type out all these words than to just do it.

I am only seeing one perimeter polyline. However, when I do a box selection of any portion of the perimeter polyline the square edges show up otherwise, I cannot select it.

I have attached the symbol, have a look and tell me if you get it to work.

Sink Ecko.calibz

• Solution
33 minutes ago, 3dRenderAnu said:

I am only seeing one perimeter polyline.

Sounds like the CAD Block needs to be exploded first.

Here's my method:

1. Place the sink into a blank plan, it'll yell that it's supposed to be placed in a cabinet, accept it and place it as a standalone object.
  2. Go to CAD, CAD Block Management, find the symbol - it'll be the only one with a red +, select and press the "Insert" button.
  3. Click to place the CAD block somewhere, then select it.
  4. In the Edit Toolbar at the bottom press "Explode Block" - now you can select the outermost edge polyline.
  5. In the Edit Toolbar again, press Convert Polyline. In the dialog, choose Countertop and press OK.
  6. Specification will open automatically. Check "Hole in Countertop" and press OK.
  7. Reselect all the CAD, press Make CAD Block in the Edit Toolbar, hit Open and give it a good name.
  8. In the Library, right-click the sink and choose Open Symbol.
  9. On the 2D Block tab, select the new block name you just made and press OK.

Now it should place into a countertop with a hole the exact shape of the sink.

• Like 1