One story ranch house with detached garage (barn)

SkullMesaRanch

Go to solution Solved by Chrisb222,

I haven't started my project but would like to know if I can have the house model and detached garage in the same project.  Is this the best way or should they be in separate projects and then combined in the condocs?    The house and detached garage have similar structure; same walls, roof type, height, foundation. 

I can't seem to find an example on the site that gives this information. 

24 minutes ago, SkullMesaRanch said:

I haven't started my project but would like to know if I can have the house model and detached garage in the same project.  Is this the best way or should they be in separate projects and then combined in the condocs?    The house and detached garage have similar structure; same walls, roof type, height, foundation. 

You can do both.  Depending on the complexity and size of your main house sometimes it is better to do the detached garage in a separate plan file.  Another advantage of a separate plan files is if your floor heights and ceiling heights are different from your garage to your home and you want to use all of the automatic tools.  Personally I generally model them in separate plan files.

• Upvote 1

• Solution
54 minutes ago, SkullMesaRanch said:

Since your walls, floor and ceiling heights are the same, I would model it all in one plan. One advantage is if you're doing a site plan, you can situate the two buildings as they will be built and keep your property line, site plan dimensions, setbacks, etc all organized and together.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Guys.  I'll put them in the same file to start since they're both small structures, house 1500 sq ft living+attached garage, covered front and back porch.  Garage/Barn is 650 sqft, insulated and climate controlled.  House is incredible simple with simple gable roof (barn too).  It sounds like it's a function of the file size and computer power. 

Barn will  be placed so that it blocks the view of the ugly house on the adjacent lot (zoned 5 acre parcels). It's a highly mountainous area of which I have the only lot with a good building area (only 7-14% grade at building site).  I want to make the terrain flat under the two structures and 5% grade everywhere else on the site area (approx 1 acre). 

So placing both house and garage is helpful for the site plan and terrain views.   I don't care about interior details too much.  My main goal is to get a complete set of construction documents to be submitted for permit.