siding is backwards on wall

SHCanada2

if I do not draw walls clockwise, when I modify existing walls(trying to create a cubby hole) I get the siding on backwards (not on the interior wall, but actually backwards on the outside of the wall)

. It can be seen by removing the drywall from the wall. CA suggests to draw clockwise, but also indicate that the wall will be reversed if you do not (which can be corrected with the reverse layers)

Reversing Wall Layers (chiefarchitect.com)

The odd thing is if I put in a pony wall the bottom of the wall is correct, but the top is not

image.thumb.png.3fe5457ed3cee231e588b3d905003f09.png

;

pony wall, both the top and bottom siding 6:

image.thumb.png.6865264e94df702002d3554fe67a1be6.png

if i remove the drywall and osb from the wall I can see with a camera that the siding is on the exterior of the wall, just backwards.

Is this normal? is there a way to fix it (other than redrawing the wall clockwise). The reverse layers doesnt work because the siding is not on the inside of the wall, you can see when zooming in it is actually on the correct side:

image.thumb.png.37fb2da2d19898f41d05ceaa88adca4c.png

I think you are tying yourself in knots.

What you say about the external siding being visible inside the wall is normal for a rendered view.

The pic below shows the same wall definition for all 3 walls.

The left hand wll has the drywall removed using the Delete Surfaces tool.

Notice that you can see the siding texture on both the inside and outside of the siding layer.

You don't seem to have a siding layer in your wall definition so I am not 100% following you.

You would be better off posting the plan with a explanation of what you want.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 6.52.09 pm.jpg

It is way too hard to follow what is happening without running commentary.

But if Chief is reversing your walls, you may want to look at the Auto Reverse Wall Layers setting.

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 7.04.06 am.jpg

In the Materials panel of the wall Specification dbx, you should probably change the materials back to Default.

See down the bottom of this dbx - Use Default Material and Chief will get the material from the wall definition instead of here.

1469972588_ScreenShot2022-11-14at7_21_56am.thumb.jpg.13053c3fb0b7dd4e73cd7f2d8d4a6d32.jpg.

i checked and it is "main layer outside"

1 hour ago, glennw said:

See down the bottom of this dbx - Use Default Material and Chief will get the material from the wall definition instead of here.

yes that works nicely....eyedropper does as well...now that I know it is the exterior material that is being changed

attached is narrated

yes it matches yours ...or maybe I should uncheck it..i'll try that

...although its definition implies this would maintain the correct exterior layer

When Auto Reverse Wall Layers is checked, walls will automatically reverse their layers to ensure that exterior layers face the exterior of the structure. Uncheck this to leave the orientation of the wall layers unchanged. 

I was just pointing out that if you draw your walls the wrong way (inside out), Chief will auto reverse them when you close a room, with this setting checked.

Best to leave it checked.

I wanted to make you aware that this can happen and may explain some things.

Best not to spray materials onto walls as it can cause some of the problems you describe - better to change the wall definition. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, glennw said:

Best not to spray materials onto walls as it can cause some of the problems you describe - better to change the wall definition

Couldn't agree more, it is an age old issue with Chief  ............ there is more info on this Tip Page.....