Text Macro for Label Callout

5FT-20Designs

This is a small text macro that sets my standard notes for the “Text Below Line” in the Callout Labels Specification on my layouts.  It checks for key words used in the label and assigns the correct text.  This is only the 3rd macro I’ve written, so it’s clumsy.  Any suggestions on streamlining will be greatly appreciated.  Have several more ideas that I want to work on.

I've spend hours going through threads on macros/Rudy and picking up information.  Special thanks to @Joe_Carrick, @Alaskan_Son, @solverand @Renerabbittfor all your post and help.

referenced ? obj=referenced : obj=owner
line_type = obj.automatic_label.upcase

#KEY = Key Plan 
#ELEV, PLAN, SECT, DETAIL = Has a scale
#CABINET = Special note about fillers for cabinet schedules
#VIEW, CAMERA, SKETCH = No scale, for reference only
#MOLDING, PANEL = Items that need to field trimmed

if line_type.include? ("KEY");
     callout_line = "- NOT TO SCALE -"
elsif line_type.include? ("ELEV") or line_type.include? ("PLAN") or line_type.include? ("SECT") or line_type.include? ("DETAIL");
     callout_line = "- Scale:  " + obj.box_scale.delete(' ').gsub('=',' = ').gsub('ft','\'').gsub(' in','"') + "-0\" -"
elsif line_type.include? ("CABINET");
     callout_line = "- REF CABINET NOTE #1, FIELD TRIM OTHER FILLERS AS REQ’D -"
elsif line_type.include? ("VIEW") or line_type.include? ("CAMERA") or line_type.include? ("SKETCH");
     callout_line = "- FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY - "
elsif line_type.include? ("MOLDING") or line_type.include? ("PANEL");
     callout_line = "- FIELD TRIM AS REQ'D -"
else
     callout_line = ""TextBelowLine.rb
end

Thanks for the mention, I would like to pose a different approach for you.

simply have 4 layout boxes sent to your template layout with the labels written as you like in the “scale”

then copy paste those layout boxes across your layout as needed and relink. Less moving parts.

it’s what I do and is Lightning fast.

it also brings you away from a very customized plan workflow which ends up being problematic in the long run from my experience 

2 minutes ago, 5FT-20Designs said:

Great idea, I’ll try it.

I do have a similar macro written for title because we currently have no way of organizing cad details in sub folders. So I have a macro that erases prefixes like “Detail” or “schedule” or it adds a floor number to “floor plan” whereas it does not add a floor number to “foundation plan” or “roof”

6 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

simply have 4 layout boxes sent to your template layout with the labels written as you like in the “scale”

This is what I do, my template layout has layout boxes for elevations (my template plan has them on the plan), layout boxes for kitchen(my template plan has them on the plan, 4 directions) , layout boxes for details, and layout boxes for basement and main floor.

The you can use the tools->reference files to change for a new plan

The different layout boxes fixes another issue I had.  I like Schedule & Note Titles placed top left so I can make the boxes long enough to catch any items added.

I do something similar for sorting CAD details.  I started with the first 6 spaces for sorting and striped them from titles.  In a previous post, Alaskan Son suggested .partition since my sorts always end in “- “.

Thanks again Rene for your suggestion.