Stair Questions - modifying lower and upper separately, open landings, and keeping treads away from a wall

DRyeHD

Go to solution Solved by DRyeHD,

I can't find answers to three challenges I'm having with this stairway.  On the lower section, I need an open stairway with one stringer - treads stopping 2" away from outside wall.  The landings need to be open (like the lower section).  Then I need the top section to be closed.

Is there a way to modify the lower and upper sections seperately?  How do I get the landings to be open underneath?

As always, your input is appreciated!

STAIR.png

Is there a way to modify the lower and upper sections seperately?

Like Eric said, hold the control key down when selecting one of the stair sections.

How do I get the landings to be open underneath?

You could make them "chief winders" (like Joe suggested), but I think winders are a big pain.  You have to create a curved stair section instead of landings and they sometimes do really strange things.  You could also just set the landing thickness to whatever you want which is probably way easier.

Also, if you turn on the "winders" checkbox in the stair dialog, I think you will have problems pulling the stair away from the wall to get your 2" gap.  Turning it off should allow you to have the gap.  You will have to manually create the support for the landing treads though.

• Solution
1 hour ago, solver said:

Hold Control, select the section you want to change.

@solver I think I've used that before but forgot about it.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

Like Eric said, hold the control key down when selecting one of the stair sections.

You could make them "chief winders" (like Joe suggested), but I think winders are a big pain.  You have to create a curved stair section instead of landings and they sometimes do really strange things.  You could also just set the landing thickness to whatever you want which is probably way easier.

Also, if you turn on the "winders" checkbox in the stair dialog, I think you will have problems pulling the stair away from the wall to get your 2" gap.  Turning it off should allow you to have the gap.  You will have to manually create the support for the landing treads though.

@Joe_Carrick and @DBCooper thanks for the input.  I ended up not using winders because they did pull the treads to the wall.  I also had to manually create the triangle landings and support to get the 3D model to look right.  But its done and I can move on now.  Thanks again, y'all, for the input!

STAIR3.png