foundation white line hatching mask

SHCanada2

After reading

I thought maybe I could create 4 of these terrain features, one for each elevation and stick them in my template plan. And perhaps I could set it to the semi famous white hatch to create a dash line for the foundation below grade as foundations here are always partially above grade

So I setup a new material and I can see the "created" dashed lines in the elevation view, but cannot get them to appear in layout. I tried unchecking the use edge line defaults and pattern line defaults per the topic below (in which dermot indicates WYSIWYG should occur). But WYSIWG does not seem to be occurring

For color fill and for no color fill in layout, neither seems to show the foundation lines as dashed

Any ideas?

elevation:

image.thumb.png.4b915ae01920a25fb7a0cf0b7413b9c7.png

layout:

image.thumb.png.c842eed291aebe439cde2e55539c5fe1.png

if you zoom in, you can see in elevation that the vertical foundation lines get broken up by the white lines, but this does not happen in layout.

The interesting thing is the terrain perimeter is breaking up the line in layout:

image.png.9f69aeb0a4fc0bcee24db318e186fbf4.png

if I fiddle with the transparency it does not seem to make a diference.\

I'm really not that familiar with materials so I'm hoping this is possible

elevation:

image.png

I guess I was a bit slow on the uptake on this one as I didn't realize this morning you were still playing with the Terrain Feature from the Other thread,

rather than a CAD Mask .

You may just need to use both tricks ?  personally I use a couple of different masks instead of the TF, depending on what I need to show and how, and use one Mask to "fake the Terrain" and it may have the angled white lines or be solid depending on if I want / need to show the foundation , and perhaps another to "fade" the Existing house vs the new addition. this isn't finished yet but gives you the idea......

image.thumb.png.3c3e20d47bc42627433feaf49238b172.png

Mick.

I think you are actually drawing a pline and changing the fill/transparency? I was hoping to avoid that, and after seeing that other thread, I thought, "hey I could just set this up and the foundations would always show dashed, nothing else to do, all dynamic". It all looked good until the layout rained on my parade.

I also tried changing the terrain the glass hatched with white line, it looks good in elevation, but no love in layout (TF is only 5' tall below)

image.thumb.png.9b67160375080ca6a4adb7259ca6934c.png

image.thumb.png.1c5c95d588cd2b01004f64f722ea0661.png

interestingly if I raise the terrain it will dash the horizontal siding, just never the vertical wall corners

image.thumb.png.e1332c3f7195caddc2cd1c8aeb1fad66.png

11 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

I think you are actually drawing a pline and changing the fill/transparency?

Yes just the Age old Chief workaround ......

You may need to ask Tech Support about  the how and why of using a Material vs a Fill though....

does your Material have a transparent background?  playing around with it the white lines go black when sent to layout....

M.

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

playing around with it the white lines go black when sent to layout....

@jasonn1234

You would need to use plot lines with Pattern Line Defaults unchecked (set color by material). Even then, in layout, the terrain pattern lines are placed behind the foundation wall lines. In the image below I made them blue so they'd be more obvious.

If I needed such a mask, I would already have that cad polyline in each elevation camera, saved in my template plan. It would be faster to adjust the polyline than all the materials and layout box settings. Or the opposite, you could set the foundation as dashed, then draw a solid line above grade. 

image.thumb.png.dc68e98d5c76aa521f4f2f65a96750b1.png

A bit more trickery that's super fast: adjust corner board settings to 1/16 x 1/16 and auto-place corner boards on foundation. If the grade is flat, you can select them all and adjust the bottom elevation all at once.

Another option: use a really small solid and save it to your library. Set it's elevation relative to the terrain, make it tall enough for all conditions and place them manually at every outside corner. They'll always be at the right elevation (the top will be buried inside the upper wall's cladding). Drawback is they don't 'stick' to the wall so if you move a wall, it's not going along for the ride.

So the question is: what will stick to the wall corner and have an elevation relative to the terrain? If only we had all elevation options (with locks) for all objects! Then the corner board would work nicely to solve this.

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Even then, in layout, the terrain pattern lines are placed behind the foundation wall lines. 

yes that is what I realized as well, I tried plot lines on and off, different line weights, no difference

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

A bit more trickery that's super fast: adjust corner board settings to 1/16 x 1/16 and auto-place corner boards on foundation

hmmm interesting...

I put in a ticket to support. If it is "supposed" to be WYSIWYG, then it should be a bug. we will see what they say