Tile Drawings

NAD4091

How does everyone do detailed tile drawings? We do very specific drawings for our contractors where we show where we want our tiles cut, patterns, etc. I know there are a lot of catalog downloads, but I haven't had much luck customizing them to do exactly what I want. I have also tried using line tools to do more of a CAD drawing, but the program isn't set up for that kind of work. I have also tried drawing a CAD box on my wall and using the fill tool to make a pattern, but again, you can't customize it much. Any help would be appreciated. 

32 minutes ago, NAD4091 said:

I have also tried using line tools to do more of a CAD drawing, but the program isn't set up for that kind of work. I have also tried drawing a CAD box on my wall and using the fill tool to make a pattern, but again, you can't customize it much.

Sorry to say so but those statements are incorrect. Chief can nicely handle tile detail drawings. You may just need to learn a few more methods and you may benefit from hiring someone to train you and help set up drawing templates.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, solver said:

Showing one of those drawings might help someone help you.

And, please check your messages -- envelope icon top of page.

Thank you for your reply and your message, as I am new to this forum. I have attached a couple of drawings showing examples of tile drawings. I was actually able to accomplish the second one using Chief, but it took me so much longer than usual getting used to the line tools. I may be doing something wrong, but I also wasn't always able to snap my lines to the end of the wall, so I ended up starting by drawing a rectangle around my elevation to give stopping points. I hope that makes sense. Maybe I am already doing it correctly and just need practice? 

Also, our clients absolutely love Chief's 3D perspectives. I have been frustrated trying to make these drawings happen on top of the 3D because it seems I have to do them separately. For example, if I put a tile on the wall to look correct in 3D, then it is a different size of shape on my elevation. Someone from the support told me that is because the 3D's go by a ratio, so you can't fill in the exact tile size. I'm very confused by all this. I hope my question makes sense.

Ideally, I would love to be able to create my own patterns and place them on the walls and have them be correct in both 3D and elevation. 

Tile Example.jpg

Untitled design.pdf

18 hours ago, robdyck said:

Sorry to say so but those statements are incorrect. Chief can nicely handle tile detail drawings. You may just need to learn a few more methods and you may benefit from hiring someone to train you and help set up drawing templates.

Thank you for your reply!  Would you be able to tell me what you mean by drawing templates? I have attached examples of the tile drawings we do. 

Tile Example.jpg

Untitled design.pdf

You're off to a good start. I won't comment on your drawings, only on some of the use of Chief. A few questions / comments:

• are you familiar with Wall Elevation cameras?
  • do you know how to edit a material so the pattern and texture are a match (3d and 2d)?
  • are you using cad drawings for those wall elevations or are you keeping them 'live'?

Hi,

There are numerous place to get premade CAD Hatch Patterns Online like CADHatch.com as Chief can use any AutoCAD Patterns onceimported via the Import Menu in Chief.

CADHatch even have a free Excel Spread Sheet to help you make your own here

https://www.cadhatch.com/hatch-pattern-generator

There is also a (paid) Program called HatchKit available if you need a lot of custom Hatch patterns.

https://hatchkit.com.au/

Mick.

You are off to a great start with your tile drawings!  It can be tricky to figure out how the adjustments work with the pattern and texture of materials.  Chief Architect does offer one on one training using your computer via an online meeting with one of their personal trainers.  I've met with one of their trainers several times about various topics and found it to be incredibly helpful.  Training@chiefarchitect.com

Good luck!  

On 7/28/2022 at 11:23 AM, robdyck said:

You're off to a good start. I won't comment on your drawings, only on some of the use of Chief. A few questions / comments:

• are you familiar with Wall Elevation cameras?
  • do you know how to edit a material so the pattern and texture are a match (3d and 2d)?
  • are you using cad drawings for those wall elevations or are you keeping them 'live'?

Yes, I use the wall elevation cameras often. They work mostly well, but it seems like there's not always a hard line around the edge if that makes sense? Like sometimes when I try to dimension end - end, it won't connect to anything on one side. 

No, I do not know how to make pattern and texture match in 3d and 2d. That is my ultimate goal. 

I am not using CAD drawings, just using the elevation camera. Then when I send them to layout, I change to "plot lines" so that they look more CAD and less cartoonish. 

On 7/28/2022 at 1:35 PM, SusanC said:

You are off to a great start with your tile drawings!  It can be tricky to figure out how the adjustments work with the pattern and texture of materials.  Chief Architect does offer one on one training using your computer via an online meeting with one of their personal trainers.  I've met with one of their trainers several times about various topics and found it to be incredibly helpful.  Training@chiefarchitect.com

Good luck!  

Thank you! I see a lot of people suggesting the one on one training, so that might be a good option for us. Thank you!

You're welcome!  A few tricks that help me:

• Choose one topic and book only an hour.
  • Write down your questions beforehand.
  • Have a working plan open and ready to go so your trainer can see exactly what you need help with. 

Good luck!

On 8/3/2022 at 7:20 PM, SusanC said:

You're welcome!  A few tricks that help me:

• Choose one topic and book only an hour.
  • Write down your questions beforehand.
  • Have a working plan open and ready to go so your trainer can see exactly what you need help with. 

Good luck!

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NAD4091 said:

Thank you!

2d Elevation Cameras use the Vector View Rendering Technique by default. 3d Camera views use Standard Rendering Technique which is a raster based image. You would need to match the pattern fill(vector) to the texture map(raster) in the material properties.
Alternatively you could simply use the tools such as multiple copy, transform/replicate/ reflect about object to place CAD/Solids/Backsplash in a physical representation of yoru tile layout.
This topic has been covered 100's of times on this forum but I don't have any bookmarked. Also I believe they cover this in the Chief Architect Provided videos