Sheet Margins

Joe_Carrick

I like all my Floor Plan Views ( Architectural, Foundation, Framing, Elecrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, etc ) at exactly the same location in the Layout.

In order to make this easy:

• I display the drawing sheet in all such views - but not in Elevation and Section Views.  
  • I specify margins matching the Layout ( left, top, right, bottom )
  • I position the drawing sheet so that my model fits within the margins.

Then when I send a plan view to layout I specify "Entire Plan/View"

The above ensures that all my Plan Views are at the same exact position on each page of the Layout.  It also allows me to see that the Plan will fit on the current drawing sheet size.  If it doesn't I just change the drawing sheet and Layout Page sizes (my Layout Templates)

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I like all my Floor Plan Views ( Architectural, Foundation, Framing, Elecrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, etc ) at exactly the same location in the Layout.

In order to make this easy:

• I display the drawing sheet in all such views - but not in Elevation and Section Views.  
  • I specify margins matching the Layout ( left, top, right, bottom )
  • I position the drawing sheet so that my model fits within the margins.

Then when I send a plan view to layout I specify "Entire Plan/View"

The above ensures that all my Plan Views are at the same exact position on each page of the Layout.  It also allows me to see that the Plan will fit on the current drawing sheet size.  If in doesn't I just change the drawing sheet and Layout Page sizes (my Layout Templates)

Interesting method.  I like it.  I might have to give that a try.  Similar to my current setup but been doing lots of additions lately so the location has to change to take advantage of the real estate on the sheet especially with elevations around note schedules etc...  But good clean way for floor plans.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:49 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

If you send your architectural plan to layout and then use copy paste hold position on each subsequent page all you have to do is edit each page and select the appropriate plan view (Architectural, foundation, framing, electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, etc)

Is your way quicker?

What is the advantage with your method?

42 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

What is the advantage with your method?

I just find it easier to have Saved Plan Views with the appropriate defaults and layer sets.  That's what I send to Layout.

In addition, for Details, Elevations, Sections, etc I find it easier if my drawing sheets sizes for those items are sized to fit uniformly within my layout border.  It's much easier to arrange them by snapping to one another.

I am aware of your method but I don't like having to go thru each sheet in the Layout to make sure the Defaults, Layerset and any Reference Layersets are properly specified.  Saved Plan Views sent to Layout take care of all that.  Actually I don't think your method deals with "multiple reference layer sets" on separate Layout pages.

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2022 at 12:49 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

I position the drawing sheet so that my model fits within the margins.

hmmm, what does this doing this impact?

Are you scaling your drawing sheet, or how are you determining if 1/4"=1" or 3/8"=1" fits on layout?

today I display the drawing sheet but I always seem to be moving around the plan in layout to centre it properly. I think some others always start at a certain x,y in plan view to avoid this, but it sound like you have another way?

I just use an "ALL ON" layer set and go to the floor where the zoom extends is furthest out.  From there I send to layout, and chief centers the layout box on the drawing sheet.  I then do this for every floor and default set without changing my zoom level.  Works for me anyway.