Cannot get x14 roof Overframe Feature to work

DOLTom

Go to solution Solved by HumbleChief,

I cant seem to make the new chief premier x14 roof over frame feature work properly

I created a simple rectangular building with a 4 sided hip roof

The roof is on auto build

Then I created a small room on the front with a gable roof

The roof built and intersected smoothly

Then I selected the 2 gable roof planes and made the 2 changes under the structure window

Selected "Roof Overframe and build to sheathing which required me to disable auto rebuild roof

Made the plate on the roof 9.25"

Built the framing and it did not generated the over frame

It still build the old style framing.

I attached the plan below

Any Ideas? 

Overbuild test plan.plan

• Solution

The video from Chief skips a step if you've already auto built and auto framed all the roof planes. The underlying roof plane needs to be extended under the new over framed roof planes, then it frames properly. The video doesn't show the framing for the other roof planes but that just needs framing per the build framing tool.

There might be a way to auto frame everything including the over frame and perhaps the smart guys will chime in but I couldn't find it.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

There might be a way to auto frame everything including the over frame

10 hours ago, rgardner said:

Framing group?

and/or depending on case need you will also need a "Truss Base".

13 minutes ago, rgardner said:

and/or depending on case need you will also need a "Truss Base".

Apologies but I don't understand the comment? Is there a way to 'over frame' automatically? Knowing Chief that would not be an unreasonable expectation but I can't seem to find the method? Also could not find a 'framing group' for roofs, only for floor and ceilings. Curious have you tried the over frame tool?

10 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Apologies but I don't understand the comment? Is there a way to 'over frame' automatically? Knowing Chief that would not be an unreasonable expectation but I can't seem to find the method? Also could not find a 'framing group' for roofs, only for floor and ceilings. Curious have you tried the over frame tool?

Without using the truss base tool to show where the overframe portion needs to be just like using a framing indicator and joist indicator it won't know where to do it.  I am not at my work computer so don't have chief available to look at the specifics though.  I messed with it very quickly in beta but don't have a ton of time in it.

10 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Without using the truss base tool to show where the overframe portion needs to be just like using a framing indicator and joist indicator it won't know where to do it.  I am not at my work computer so don't have chief available to look at the specifics though.  I messed with it very quickly in beta but don't have a ton of time in it.

Thanks Ryan, seems to work OK with just a roof plane but the roof plane also seems like it needs to be manually pulled down from its auto build configuration, then over built. I have a feeling the OP (from his plan at least) was expecting the over build to be an auto build function, like I did when I first tried it. Wonder what others have learned.

I don't think Chief will overbuild it automatically with an add on room. You still need to manually overbuild it using roof planes. the new tool is mainly just for the valley board as far as I know. I do these all the time and it would be nice if I asked the roof planes to overbuild automatically and cut off the overhang, and it did. When I draw an as built plan the roof is done on the main structure, and I don't want to rebuild all the roof planes so I must tie in the overbuild manually.

40 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I don't think Chief will overbuild it automatically with an add on room. You still need to manually overbuild it using roof planes. the new tool is mainly just for the valley board as far as I know. I do these all the time and it would be nice if I asked the roof planes to overbuild automatically and cut off the overhang, and it did. When I draw an as built plan the roof is done on the main structure, and I don't want to rebuild all the roof planes so I must tie in the overbuild manually.

Yeah, pretty easy to do manually. I was a bit fooled thinking it would be an automatic operation, as Chief attempts most things, but it's nice to have the framing correct for over built roofs, or for cal-fill roofs as we call them here in er..cal.

Thanks for the time everyone put into the post

I’m going to experiment with some of the ideas

I have been doing it manually for a few years with poly solids 

I was excited to see that x14 had the auto Over Frame  feature and it looked great in the tutorial

As usual it seems like it may only work under certain conditions

I experimented quite while last night with not much success but your ideas have spurred some thoughts

If I figure out the automatic formula I will update the post

Thanks Again 

Thanks for the great tips

Auto Built Roofs as Normal

Used the Build All Framing option

Pulled down the main roof plane to create a full roof on the underside of the Gable and Manually framed that 

Then Selected both gable planes opened them up and went to structure. Then Checked the Roof Over Frame option, selected Sheathing, Changed Shoe Size to 9.25.

Manually reframed and presto the over frame dropped in.

Still have to make a few adjustments but here is how it looks.........1854157690_3DView.thumb.jpg.d35bb74e70fa6bc1e6a7c64906e914f1.jpg924664735_FramingView.thumb.jpg.49c41e9ca669418dbe3169d1f00b2f93.jpg