Offsetting a gable roof with one-sided 2-story roof

Muizzy

Go to solution Solved by Muizzy,

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to chief architect and am looking to do quite a complicated thing, so need some help.

At the moment, I am attempting to digitalise an old set of plans. Overall, things are going quite smoothly, but I've hit a bit of a snag when it comes to roof generation.

The roof in question here has a 45 degree angle and is offset to be at 1/3rd the length of the house in such a way that one side of the house has the roof supported by the 2nd floor, and one side has the roof supported by the first floor.

The problem is, I have no idea how to pull this off. The particular issue I'm facing is how to offset the ridge to a non-center position, idealy while maintaining the auto-build.

image.thumb.png.59bf99beeb8464beb7a99c1cc9c1f6fb.png

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, solver said:

The Chief website is full of info.

ct1.thumb.png.48b7c98515df599a0474f7bbaee12424.png

Thanks. I posted this after well over an hour of trying to find the answer myself. If you happen to have found a link to documentation I missed on this issue, I'd love to see it :) 

Resources I found are:

Unfortunately, none of these resources have helped me in solving the issue. That's when I searched the forum, finding these resources:

These also did not provide any instructions I could understand towards how to achieve my goals.

EDIT: Turns out that you were providing me with the correct query already! Sorry, I thought you were just showing a generic image! Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with the English terminology so didn't pick up on it. Apologies for the confusion ^^

Have a look in the KB for an article on doing Saltbox Roofs.....

Though it maybe easier to do manually depending on the situation, I'm not sure Auto-Build will handle this well, all that is SOP at least to start.

Mick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, solver said:

Drawing the roof over the wall where it starts is best and works fine.

How do you connect the two roof planes when they start on different floors? Say one starts on floor 1 and the other on floor 3.

• Downvote 1

Just now, solver said:

Where they start makes no difference. Connect as you would any 2 roof planes with the Join Roof Planes tool.

I'd love to know how you do that, because the moment I move between floors, my first roof plane gets un-selected, rendering me incapable of selecting both roof planes at the same time with the Join Roof Planes tool.

Use the Move Up/Down Display (only) of Roof Planes Tool on the Edit tool Bar so they all show on one Floor.

( the roof plane is not actually moved , just the floor no# it shows on )

Mick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muizzy said:

I'd love to know how you do that, because the moment I move between floors, my first roof plane gets un-selected, rendering me incapable of selecting both roof planes at the same time with the Join Roof Planes tool.

1.) Do it in a 3d view

2.) use the show roof plane on floor below or floor above tools to get them showing on the same floor and then do it in plan view.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, solver said:

You just need to learn how to use that tool :)

Along with what was said just above, select the Edge of one roof plane you want to join, click the Join Roof Planes tool (or 2 on the keyboard), then select the Edge of the second roof plane.

The problem here wasn't being unable to connect two roof planes. It was being able to see / select both of them at the same time.

I am pretty sure that this is doable with auto roofs (similar to the pic attached).

BUT, the critical thing is the geometry.

What are the critical dimensions and what is their priority?

Ie, is it the floor/floor heights and sizes, building width at each floor, roof slope and structural sizes.....?

A change in any of these could make the roof undoable. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 11.07.27 am.jpg

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, seanmcl said:

Funny. I have the same question. I want to build a 3-car garage with a saltbox roof to accommodate solar panels. I want a 5-12 pitch on the south facing roof and I'm having a devil of a time.

Good place to start is always the KnowledgeBase ( KB) ..............

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00119/automatically-creating-a-saltbox-roof.html

Mick.