Need a cabinet front refresher

GeneDavis

I cannot remember how this is done.  I have come close in the past but I think Mr Cab Wizard, Mark, gave me a file with the cab I needed.  I want to know how to do this from the ground up.

Wall cabinets only.  A frameless look.  Plain "shaker" doors, just frame and panel. 

1/8" reveal at top. 

1/16" reveals at sides. 

1/8" margin between double doors.

1-1/4" overhang at bottom.  This for the way we do the undercab lighting, and the way we do the plug-strip molding for receptacles at rear.

I built a door symbol in Sketchup, imported it into Chief and classified it as a "door/drawerfront."  Set its origin up 1.25" from the bottom.  Placed a thin stretch zone vertically to do proper width resizing.  Tried using it as the door in a wall cabinet, and failed.  

Cab trial.plan

I don't think Chief can do different Reveal ie Top vs Sides , or has that changed Mark?

There is a Thread somewhere with Raised bottom Cabinets, as I used the Thread Last yr for Info for a Project.

M.

Thanks, Mark.  That was the refresher I needed.  I somehow misremembered something to do with a door symbol with an origin up off the bottom by the overhang amount.

I see it is the item reveal that is the setting.

But it's an almost right, no?  There's no way to get an 1/8" reveal between double doors, is there?

4 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

There's no way to get an 1/8" reveal between double doors, is there?

Not after a quick play I had after posting above, but perhaps Mark has some more symbol magic :) 

3 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

There's no way to get an 1/8" reveal between double doors, is there?

Split the door, make one a left and the other a right, change the separation to an opening, set to 1/8, equalize layout horizontal.

image.thumb.png.8d0f7f91f980b9dafefd97e38a1241c5.png

Chief should really make that 1/8 when reveal is set to 1/16 as per standard from MFG. Otherwise there is no adjustment available to the doors.

In the meantime use the attached Style Palette on any wall cabinet with double doors that doesn't have a center stile.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I don't think Chief can do different Reveal ie Top vs Sides , or has that changed Mark

Cabinet I posted has 1/8 top and 1/16 sides- ex since X13, prior you needed to use blank areas

SP eigth btwn.calibz

• Upvote 1

@GeneDavis It occurred to me that if I was doing lighting reveals the way you are that I would do a few things differently.

• In most cases you need an end of run cabinet
  • I've run into issues with backsplash tile when the back height doesn't match the end of run height- more so when using angled outlet strips at the back.

So I would do something like this.

image.thumb.png.168ac0521143319f9046f03054f3fe0a.png

Attached is plan with door drops below floor 1-1/4", cabinet height is correct for schedule and has back same length as a finished side, and end of run cabinets.

Since none of these work well based on general defaults I would make 4 Style Palettes (SPs) for this. Set SP to copy face configuration and nothing else.

Then make: one for single door end, one for single door middle of the run, one for double door end, and a new one for double door middle of run. Then would just place cabinets using keyboard, size them as needed, hit them with SPs when done with that. Reflect as needed to swap ends or single door cabinets.

NOTE -I have no idea why the reveal at the bottom has to be set far greater than the opening at the bottom. Worked it out with split views.

Cabinet MC.zip

18 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Here is my section view of wall cabinets.  Whatever backsplash there is goes up to the bottom of the plugstrip molding.

Task has a Power Strip I think may work for this without the blocking , a Client had me spec them for an Island recently.....

APT Series Angle Powerstrip.       PDF APT Angled Electrical Strip.pdf

1470484915_TaskAPTAngledTaskLighting.thumb.PNG.550ccadbbd1e3378efa603fdc78a7812.PNG

I've used the Task ones and Outwater, task cost a spec more but more options.

I only use Hafele Loox lights; and prefer (as do all the installers I deal with) linkable sections with wires that snap connect instead of adding light strip to extrusions in the field (in which  case the angle in front needs to be made as part of the light rail)

I like having the back extended down for cleaner tile install. Run tile and grout or caulk to flat, and the APTs are 1-1/2 instead of 1-1/4. Tile first with electric tails then install the strips.

Also I set bottom recess to 3/4" 1 max too (many woman are shorter and every bit helps with access). Personally I don't like the strips at the back in kitchens, only offices, only use if client which is also why I prefer the drop at back .....but hey that's what makes the world go around :)