Stairs - Different kind of Rake wall

Gelby4

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

I've seen the methods of creating a typical rake wall, and tried to replicate in order to make this existing stair condition, but it's pretty different than the "usual".

Any idea on the best way to make this as-is?

Cheers,

IMG_20220505_111829.jpg

7 minutes ago, Gelby4 said:

Hi Eric,

I have basically what you have. But how can I not show the side stringers (so that the wall goes right to the treads), and have the carpet runner lap over the side?

Take a look at the stringers option.

• Solution
11 minutes ago, Gelby4 said:

Tried that

I cheated by not showing any lines! The wall is flush with the edge of the stairs and I painted the stringer to the drywall material.

I think a 3d molding would be best for the handrail transition and to make the carpet wrap the stair treads at the wall.

For the carpet wrap, you'll probably need to make a custom molding profile, then create a 3d molding polyline, which I would get from a cad detail taken from a section view through the stair...just copy the runner lines, join / edit them then paste in place in the section camera view.

image.thumb.png.18b21c240be4335bd4e8030ff935ff58.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Robert that looks perfect! (Nice touch including my bag haha)

I'm pretty sure I follow what you're suggesting, but may need to pick your brain again if I'm not getting it to work out.

Cheers!

57 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I cheated by not showing any lines! The wall is flush with the edge of the stairs and I painted the stringer to the drywall material.

I think a 3d molding would be best for the handrail transition and to make the carpet wrap the stair treads at the wall.

For the carpet wrap, you'll probably need to make a custom molding profile, then create a 3d molding polyline, which I would get from a cad detail taken from a section view through the stair...just copy the runner lines, join / edit them then paste in place in the section camera view.

image.thumb.png.18b21c240be4335bd4e8030ff935ff58.png

Nice touch with the bag!  HAHA  I wasn't on my computer to try that but figured it would work in standard rendering techniques.

While I agree with the solution, this is a fairly common condition that is not easily managed by the stair/wall tools. I think this is something that could use improvement in the program. I will make a proper suggestion when my schedule allows. Currently scheduling suggestions for 2025.

• Upvote 1