how to create an arch of material on a wall

SHCanada2

the fake facade a few inches this side of the wall, with it cutout with the arch for the windows

I've now created a psolid for the entire two floors and a pline arch, but dont know how to create a hole in the psolid with the pline

image.thumb.png.fc6ea88f08de1f5c6725d684fdc8121f.png

image.thumb.png.cde1e099ab624aefbba991ddbfd90294.png

this look

image.thumb.png.dc2456728771a0a2cd452c3de87a9290.png

I must not be understanding what is going on here.   A WALL MATERIAL REGION will cutout for windows/doors so if you applied a WMR on a wall with windows you shouldn't have to be creating any holes.  

8 hours ago, rgardner said:

A WALL MATERIAL REGION will cutout for windows/doors so if you applied a WMR on a wall with windows you shouldn't have to be creating any holes.  

yes thats a problem, and one of the reasons I went to the psolid as i wasn't sure it could be done

9 hours ago, solver said:

Select the pline, then the Convert Polyline tool. Check the options.

from the help: To convert a CAD object into one of these 3D objects, select the object and click the Convert Polyline ../../Resources/img/btn/ConvertPolyline.png edit button to open the Convert Polyline dialog

except there is no such edit button when I was trying earlier. Now I discovered it is only available if I am not on a CAD Detail.so i copied it to the elevation and I can convert to polyline to a psolid. then the manual indicates:

so now I have a psolid for my arch.

I noticed solver you drew a hole, which I can as well using the 3D solid feature, but I already have the pline drawn, how can I use the pline to make the hole instead of drawing it by hand again?

I also tried converting to a psolid and then placing the psolid on the other psolid and trying the subtract /union. etc. It appears I needed to select the large psolid first and then click on the subtraction icon, and then click on the arched psolid (otherwise it would subtract the other way).. Problem is it would not allow me to click on the arched psolid, it kept selecting the first psolid. I changed the arched psolid to a different thickness and now it works (although I had a couple "encountered a serious error" error a couple times.

so after all that. two lessons, convert to psolid in elevation, and change thickness of psolid to allow it to be selected (although my guess is there is another way, I just do not know (there does not appear to be a drawing order available))

image.thumb.png.5823394547b030e8530566fc0dc21859.png

51 minutes ago, jasonn1234 said:

I am not on a CAD Detail

Cad detail=2d cad work nothing 3d

53 minutes ago, jasonn1234 said:

I already have the pline drawn, how can I use the pline to make the hole instead of drawing it by hand again?

I

I

\  /

\/

10 hours ago, solver said:

Select the pline, then the Convert Polyline tool. Check the options.

i have it working pretty good with the 2 psolids and the subtraction, but keep getting the "Serious error". if i move around the psolid i can make it go away..sometimes. the latest one I cannot get to do the subtraction

EditBehavior.cpp(800): Error #272000999

"A serious error occurred. Do not save the file in its current state. If you want to try saving your work, use Save As to create a new file. Please restart the program and contact Technical Support."

05/23/2022 09:41:30 PM

Build: 24.0.3.48 Windows 64-bit

anyione else seen this?

Your hole may be interfering with the bottom edge of the solid.

It looks like you are making this a lot harder than it should be.

Instead of the Boolean operations, have you tried selecting the polysolid and then From the Edit menu use Solid Feature.

Draw your hole and then shape it.

You can draw your hole over the edge of the polysolid if you want.

Or...if you have a lot of the same shaped holes, draw the shape in the elevation view with cad, copy them into place and then convert them into a Solid Hole - you can multiple select the cad shapes and convert them to holes all in one go. 

I think this will be much easier and more intuitive than using the boolean operations. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 4.33.39 pm.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, glennw said:

copy them into place and then convert them into a Solid Hole

got it, yes this is the simple way, and works well, i see the "3d hole" option now when i place the 2d polyline on the psolid. I think yesterday I had the polyline off to the side and thought it was a two step, select pline then place on psolid type of operation. clearly I was incorrect, and it is a lot simpler to place pline on psolid and then convert polyline->3D solid hole.

looking good now:

image.thumb.png.e9f25efbebeadf996678a666290ad68e.png