Measuring and exact sizing

DaveDi

Good afternoon,

is this normal that I have 4 exact sized doors that I can't get a proper measurement on? The dimensional tools have been a real struggle for me. I also keep setting my default line weights, arrow sizes and arrow types but it doesn't retain my selection.

Thank you in advance for whatever help you may offer.

Upper.JPG

4 minutes ago, DaveDi said:

I also keep setting my default line weights, arrow sizes and arrow types but it doesn't retain my selection.

You need to be sure you are in defaults to set defaults and that only works for the existing plan unless you save it in your template file.

5 minutes ago, DaveDi said:

Good afternoon,

is this normal that I have 4 exact sized doors that I can't get a proper measurement on? The dimensional tools have been a real struggle for me.

For precise individual measurements you may need to change the rounding for some situations or "Grid Rounding" can sometimes cause inconsistent results and the "Distance Rounding" option may be more appropriate but not recommended for general use.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DaveDi said:

Good afternoon,

is this normal that I have 4 exact sized doors that I can't get a proper measurement on? The dimensional tools have been a real struggle for me. I also keep setting my default line weights, arrow sizes and arrow types but it doesn't retain my selection.

Thank you in advance for whatever help you may offer.

Upper.JPG

We would need to know what version ( Forum signature not done yet ) you are using and what dimension Default as in new versions Chief will/can dimension to the Cabinet AND also theDoor Slab itself and with a 1/16th reveal it can mess up Dims depending on what they are snapping too.

Mick.

Here are the settings that get what you are after- ASSUMING that you made those equal to being with either with standard splitting or using the equalize button.

NOTE that GRID SNAPS ARE OFF. Tool used is Manual dimensions image.thumb.png.a0324ed00980ba04f5ef9ad02edd43ac.png

; click just to the side of cabinet and drag across holding button down.

image.thumb.png.ba498a16431d68359eb3320c457b3cf6.pngimage.thumb.png.0bddb49601eb0d8f3214eb783468c491.png

There are cases where increasing smallest fraction UP helps but I would not bother in this case.

Bear in mind that the dimension that matters is the overall dimension, that;s what the person making the cabinet will use, and the one that ensures it fits properly in the space.

The proper way to dimension the door openings on this would be to use "Eq." or to simply call out "4 equal doors"

To do that reduce the text size for that dimension string, place a text box "Eq" set size to cover over the first dimension, then multiple copy to cover the others. Here I left the last dime exposed.

image.thumb.png.7469849dc8a595972d69ed08bb9f278b.png

Finally listen to the others and fill out a signature please.

• Upvote 1

I am so sorry for posting in the wrong forum. When I was posting I thought I was in the HomeTalk forum. My apologies but thank you for you help.

• 8 months later...

Great to see these responses.

I did not upload my plan.

However, looks like Chopsaw advise on Distance Rounding was my fix.

MarkMc has good advice too. Making note doors are equal wouldn't hurt.

Caveat to my issue-

All cabinets built out to equal door sizes- excepting two cabinet I had cut and pasted from another plan.

All plans X14 version.

Had a devil of a time trying to try all options/changes and Help as all other cabinets looked fine and equal Faces dimensions on doors with default Grid Rounding checked.

Then gave up and searched here trying different search phrases.

Note that changing "Edit Active View" Dimensions back to recommended Grid Rounding after I Manual Dimensioned these two cabinets on Elevation view will revert to unequal doors on these two cabinets again.

I will upload plan for advice if other elevation views errors show up with Grid option off.