Are 3D Solids Created in a Section View Intended To Be Uneditable?

HumbleChief

Usually missing something but when I create a 3D solid in a section view, it shows in 3D and shows in the section view but somehow then cannot be edited? I could have sworn I've done this in the past and been able to edit the shapes in section view but user error is always a possibility. Thanks for any assistance.

Apologies as I see that I am using too many terms in the discussion. These are 3D solids and I'm calling them 3D polylines and who knows what my brain comes up with while speaking but they are 3D solids. Thanks

233817106_3DSOLIDS.plan

On 5/7/2022 at 6:16 AM, HumbleChief said:

If the section is cut through the entire 3D solid it cannot be edited and only shows cross sections lines. If the section is only cut through a part of the 3D solid it is editable. Who knew? (Well usually everyone but me :P)

It has always been that way AFAIK?........  if you look at the end of the object you can edit it  ( when you moved camera to right )....but if the camera cut line is "IN" the Object it is not....as shown in your 2nd Video when you need to pull the camera cut line outside the Object ( to the right ).

This is likely why with a P.Solid Chief will always place the object 12" away from the camera cutline , unless you snap it onto the nearest wall etc. then it i likely further away.

M.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

It has always been that way AFAIK?........  if you look at the end of the object you can edit it  ( when you moved camera to right )....but if the camera cut line is "IN" the Object it is not....as shown in your 2nd Video when you need to pull the camera cut line outside the Object ( to the right ).

This is likely why with a P.Solid Chief will always place the object 12" away from the camera cutline , unless you snap it onto the nearest wall etc. then it i likely further away.

M.

So it's been silly for a long time? And by silly I mean I cut the section in order to draw the 3D solid, then the user has to reposition the section cut line in order to modify the 3D solid? Silly is much too kind a word for that behavior. I reported it to tech support and asked if this behavior was intended.

36 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

So it's been silly for a long time? And by silly I mean I cut the section in order to draw the 3D solid, then the user has to reposition the section cut line in order to modify the 3D solid? Silly is much too kind a word for that behavior. I reported it to tech support and asked if this behavior was intended.

If you put it like that I guess so :)      normally in an elevation the solid will grab onto the wall the camera is pointed at ( and be 1" thick or your Default ), you then do any mods needed and then go back to plan to pull it the length of the room  ( in this example). You can off course open the DBX and enter the room length if you know it , but that will cause you not to be able to edit it any longer.  ( no guesses on how I know that :( )

M.

From tech support

"What you're seeing and describing in your second video is correct. If an elevation camera is cutting into an object, especially a simple object like a 3D solid, you won't be able to edit it.

This is due to the nature of how 3D works. When you're cutting an elevation view into a shape, you're not actually seeing any of the sides of the shape; you're just seeing the edges, which have zero thickness, and the backface of the opposite end of the 3D shape, which you cannot select. The Cross Section Lines I believe are generated to act as 2D line overlays for shapes for the sake of modifying Line Weights.

As you pointed out in that second video, any camera view needs to be totally outside of a 3D Object to select it. This applies to normal 3D cameras just as much as elevation camera views. Effectively, you can only see 1 face of a 3D object in an elevation view, and you need to click on the outside of that face to successfully select it."

• Upvote 1

I don't make time to respond to tech support very often as I just don't have any extra these days but the response above, as courteous and professional as it could be represents a very typical disconnect between the brilliant (I am not being facetious) software engineers and the every day user and their experience with the software. Perfect case in point. I as a user can't really understand why, when a section is cut, the 3D solids are no longer editable. It makes no inherent sense from this user's point of view. On the other hand it makes perfect sense to the software engineers because - software engineering. I think that disconnect from the engineer's mind to the user interface occurs far too often in Chief but it's been like that since day one and the user needs to adapt to that engineer's mind because the inverse will not happen any time soon.

• Upvote 1